Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler nursing out of boredom?

Default Toddler nursing out of boredom?

I am starting to notice a definite pattern with DD's nursing in different environments. We are mostly at home, just the two of us, and when we are, she eats very few solids and nurses tons. But as soon as DH is home or we go to visit my family, she is much more willing to eat more and when distracted enough (especially by my neice) will go hours without nursing. I'm talking the difference of a couple times an hour at home, and eating teaspoonfuls at meals, vs. going over 7 hours on Friday, and CHOWING on everything in sight all day! I guess I had attributed a lot of the nursing to teething, but she has been teething for weeks and I'm sure Friday was no exception. So what do I do? Work harder to distract her from nursing, even when it's just us at home, or just keep going as we are? At 20 mos., I do expect her to wean sometime in the next couple years, but as my only child, I'm not wanting to rush it. I'm really hoping someone out there has BTDT and has some insight. Part of me says she needs more time away from home to keep her stimulated, and part of me says to continue nursing on demand if it's what she wants and not stress. But I just can't help wondering if having her switching back and forth every few days isn't playing havok with my hormones and what's causing my mood swings.

Default Re: Toddler nursing out of boredom?

I don't have much advice... But my 14 m old does the same thing. She is home with me 99% of the time and will nurse alot. If we are out and she is entertained and busy she nurses alot less. Somestimes if we are home and she wants to nurse I just give her a snack instead.. sometimes that does the drink and sometimes it doesn't.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Kelly, Joshua does the same exact thing. At home he would be latched on all day if he could, especially if we aren't out and about doing something. He wants to nurse when we swing on the porch swing, nurse when we are reading books or playing, nurse when I am having my morning coffee. But when we are visiting family and he is entertained by a new environment, he nurses much less, and of course I end up engorged.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Hello,
    I haven't been on the forums much, but I have been nursing my dd for almost 2 years. I haven't had many issues with nursing, but lately i have been feeling similarly to you about my dd's nursing patterns.
    She, like your toddler, is very destracted when at grandma's, a neighbor's house, etc. and doesn't think to nurse, but when we are at home, she nurses much more frequently during the week when its just me, her and my older dd and on the weekends when dh is home.
    I have tried several times while at home to just try and destract or postpone nursing and have become pretty good at it but it is extremely exhausting. Lately I've been wanting to begin weaning, but I am afraid that I am just not consistent enough. From what I have read in "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", this age is somewhat difficult to wean for some kids, so I am trying to stick it out and let her lead the way. Reading that book has helped me in times when I feel lost about nursing a toddler with no one else around doing the same thing. It really uses common sense when explaining things.

I guess I am just rambling , but just know you are not alone.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooakbabysculptor View Post
    I From what I have read in "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", this age is somewhat difficult to wean for some kids, so I am trying to stick it out and let her lead the way. Reading that book has helped me in times when I feel lost about nursing a toddler with no one else around doing the same thing. It really uses common sense when explaining things.
    Jen, I love that book too! I read it awhile back, and now I am re-reading the section on pregnancy and tandem nursing, as we are thinking about TTC again. I can't say enough about it, it is just a wonderful book.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I know,
    I refer back to that book all of the time. I am thinking about buying "How Weaning Happens" too, just out of curiosity, I would like to see what it says to gain perspective.
    Thats so wonderful that your TTC! Good luck to you
    Jen

I have the weaning one, and have been considering getting the nursing toddler one!

It is such a great book. It tells what to typically expect through ages 1,2,3 and a beyond and it also has other info in it about nursing too. Do you like the weaning one? Let me know if you get a chance
    Jen