Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezing after vacation

Question freezing after vacation

I am headed back to work in about one month. I have been pumping and freezing two times a day so that my daycare can give my little man bm. In two weeks we are headed to North Carolina for vacation. I plan to keep pumping while I am there. I do not want to freeze it while I am there because I do not want it to thaw on the trip home. I will keep it in a refrigerator and then a cooler while driving. I would like to freeze as much of it as possible when I return home. How many days can I keep it in the refrigerator before I freeze it? Thanks so much

Default Re: freezing after vacation

EBM is good in the fridge for eight days, but I'm not sure how long you can keep it in the fridge and then freeze it. I'd imagine seven days or so since one frozen and thawed it is only good for 24 hours. Do you have a LC you can contact?

FYI - I traveled with frozen EBM in a cooler and it stayed frozen solid for me. Granted, it was only a 2 1/2 hour trip, but when my parents brought my LO and the excess frozen EBM back to me, it stayed frozen solid for over four hours in a small cooler packed with ice and those blue things. If your car time isn't too long, you might be able to freeze it and travel with it successfully.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Thanks so much Fran! Our trip home will be 14 hours, so I'm not sure if it will stay frozen for that long...I may experiment a little here at home to see how long I can keep one bag frozen in a cooler. Thanks for the advice...I will contact my LC, she has been a micarcle worker for me!!

Hmmm...14 hours sounds like a long time for something to stay frozen solid in a cooler. It would certainly stay super cold, though, if you just packed it as refrigerated milk. Good luck. It's worth the effort.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

HI there,
    What a pain to sign on!
    Anyways, I have driven back and fourth on a 5 hour drive with milk from vacation. I used dry ice to keep it frozen after freezing it in a freezer. The top layer of bagged milk was alittle thawed so I used that immediately and froze what I would normally have baby bottle feed. Grocery stores now sell dry ice. Be very careful with it. If you touch it it can burn you. Use tongs!

depends on your cooler to.. some are beter then others.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...reastmilk.html

heres something from that link:

Thawed breastmilk can stay in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Fresh breastmilk in a clean container can stay in a refrigerator for less than eight days (6). Fresh breastmilk can stay in an insulated bag with frozen gel packs for 24 hours. (7) Refrigerator temperatures are 38 - 45° F. An insulated pack with frozen gel packs is 60° F (3). Your pumped milk in the hotel refrigerator is fine for a week business trip. The milk coming home in your checked luggage in an insulated pack with frozen gel packs for 24 hours will work also.

What do you do with frozen milk you pumped on your trip? Don't mess with ice. Ice is warmer than frozen milk and will actually hasten to thaw your milk (8)—who knew? This is because water freezes at 32° F and milk freezes at around 0° F. Use frozen gel packs to keep your frozen milk frozen longer in your insulated cooler in your checked luggage. Crumple paper all around the milk and gel packs to further insulate it. The study in Breastfeeding Medicine found that even if the milk thaws, it is good to use provided it was not at room temperature for more than eight hours. If it is cool when you unpack it—it is good to go. It is also safe to be refrozen. (9) This is important because moms think they have to use it right away if thawed and may feed it to the baby instead of actually breastfeeding as soon as they get home. Better to get baby on the breast as soon as you return home, and refreeze or refrigerate the pumped milk for the next mother-baby separation.