Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: newborn - no poop since meconium

Default newborn - no poop since meconium

Hello ladies. My newborn is 8 days old and has not pooped since passing meconium for the 2 days we spent in the hospital. So, she has gone almost 6 days without stooling. I know that this is normal as breastfed babies get older, but don't know of anyone that has such a young baby that is not pooping.
    She is having wet diapers regularly throughout the day. She is a bit gassy - but nothing beyond the norm for a newborn baby. She seems relatively content and no more fussy than can be expected.
    Any experience or thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: newborn - no poop since meconium

I would place a call into my doc when they're back in the office or sooner if you have an HCP or nursing clinic nearby ( a call to your local hospitals should tell you where there is one, if there is one ) . Baby "should" be stooling more often than that... this resource has a little more info that might be helpful.

This quote comes from that link
    Any baby between five and 21 days of age who does not pass at least one substantial bowel movement within a 24 hour period should be seen at the breastfeeding clinic the same day. Generally, small, infrequent bowel movements during this time period mean insufficient intake. There are definitely some exceptions and everything may be fine, but it is better to check.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi mama!

Wondered how it was going for you today? I'll second the advice to get your doctor and a Lactation Consultant on board!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Baby has still not gone poop. So it has been 8 days now. I took her to pedi to be weighed this morning and she has put on 5 ounces since last Wednesday (5 ounces in 5 days).
    She was born at 9lb 9oz and was 9 lbs 0oz when we left the hospital.
    She is currently 9lbs 4oz (she turns 2 weeks on Friday).

She continues to have plenty of wet diapers and is still a relatively happy baby. She does have some gas and very smelly farts, but is not usually in any discomfort once the fart or burp passes (so normal behavior). Pedi said stomach was soft and appeared perplexed but not worried.

I dont know what to do. Formula to get her to poop (while still pumping to keep up supply), prune juice, get a second pedi opinion.....

humm what did the doctor recomend.?

How often is baby nursing
    How many times in 24 hours?

Many just getting baby to nurse more often is going to get her going?

Suppliments should be your milk!

Hi mama!

I also have a bunch of questions for you! I hope you don't mind.

Andrea asked this too, about how many times is she nursing well for you (you hear swallows/feel letdown) in a 24 hour period?

What color is her urine (pale/dark) and does it have a strong or mild odor?

Is she spitting up for you at all? If so, what color is the spit up?

I'd encourage you to forgo any pacifiers or bottles at this point, and just put her to the breast to nurse. Is she getting anything other than breastmilk right now?
    Formula can be constipating, and other methods like prune juice can be hard on a very young babies system and make things worse. That's also assuming that she's constipated, which may not be the case.

Definitely seek a second opinion if you can, I'd also encourage you to talk to an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) in your area. You might find them in your local hospital where you gave birth, you can also call a LLL Leader in your area for a recommendation.

Hoping for a really big poopy diaper your way!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

She pooped tonight!!! Just one and it wasn't huge, but it was a big relief to me.

She nurses 8-10 times per day. When I nurse I nurse on one side only and she nurses on average for 20 minutes. When she is done nursing I can still express some, so it isn't empty when she is done.

I get wet diapers about every 3 hours and they are relatively full (more than just a little pee) and pee is clear in color. Odor is usually mild to none.

She spits up after about half her feedings. Spit up is white. Usually just a small to moderate amount.

I do have an appointment scheduled with another pedi tomorrow morning for another opinion. I think I will cancel it if she has any more poops tonight...but if she has no more I think I will still bring her in.

I appreciate any and all help ladies, thank you!!

So glad to hear about the poopy! Let us know what the other dr says!

Everything you've described sounds great, that's a good sign!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Yay for the poop!

Your breasts are never really empty. They are constantly making milk. So keep that in mind when you still see milk coming from your breasts after a feeding. If she seems satisfied, just follow her lead.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree with the posters who are encouraging you to keep in touch with your health care professional.

I also want to say that I know a mother whose third baby did exactly what yours is doing. The mother was a Leader, so she really knew what to expect, and was definitely worried. It turned out that everything was fine. That baby was just unusual, but perfectly healthy.

Sending vibes for lots of poop!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader