Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lots of ?

Cool lots of ?

ok i just started back to work full time on thursday the 3rd. and my mother in law is keeping my DD . ok on the first day my DD ate 11 1/2 oz of ebm and that night( we sleep together) she didn't wake for her 1:30a and 3:30a feedings shes 13 weeks old this sunday. then friday my DD ate 12 oz of ebm which i'm not sure if she's eating to much but she didn't wake all night again fri night. i thought with working we should sleep with them and have them nurse to keep up supply now my DD is not nursing at night and when i wake her up a 5:00am to nurse before i go to work she only nurses a little and goes back to sleep or acts full and my breasts are full so then i' don't know what to do because i was told i should nurse all every eve when i get home and during night , before i go to work and all weekend but this am saturday i was so engorged i had to pump because she didn't wake all night? i don't want to start pumping all weekend too and i don't want to be engorged and develope a problem. could it be that she is going to sleep all night and i need not to pump so my breast will not make so much or what i'm confused? i don't know what to do i don't want to jeapordize my milk and our nursing relationship
    also if she dosen't want to eat alot before i go to work which i would like to deveolpe a pump schedule such as 9a, 11:30a and 3:00 p. so i was afriad to pump in am because didn't want breasts to get used to that pumping but maybe i should. oh i don't know please help any sugg would be appriciated

Default Re: lots of ?

If your baby isn't eating, you need to be pumping to keep up your supply.

Most infants will take 1-1.5oz per hour they are in daycare, in several servings. So, if you and baby are separated for 9hrs, most infants will eat 9-13oz while you're apart.

Pumping every three hours seems to work well for most working mothers.

Can you ask you MIL to not feed baby in the two hours or so before you're expected there, so baby is hungry when you're back together?

Is there any way that MIL might be feeding baby other stuff during the day? It's unusual for a baby to eat 13oz during the day at daycare and not nurse at all in the evenings or overnight.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

no she's only giving her bm but i'm wondering scince my dd has a high sucking need but won't take a pacifier maybe mil is feeding her to much? she will eat when i get home from work it's just in the middle of the night feeding she stopped i was with baby all this weekend and she did wake up at 2:00a so maybe she's eating to much during day? she has eaten 12 to 13 oz and is 13 weeks old. which you said is normal or maybe a growth spurt?

Lots of babies do seem to need to suck a lot, even though they aren't hungry. Allowing them to suck on the bottle, after it's empty, can satisfy that need. Many caregivers mistake this for hunger, when it's really not.

And yes, many infants have a growth spurt around 3mos of age. So, you might be in the middle of that, too!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!