Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm not upset about "overproduction", but...

Question I'm not upset about "overproduction", but...

I'm currently producing a few ounces more a day than I can get the DD to eat, so I've been pumping about once a day to siphon off the excess. I've been freezing it, but it's starting to pile up -- I'm running out of "disposable" bottles, and didn't have much luck with the ice cube tray method.

I don't think I'm making enough to be of any real use to a milk bank, and I don't want to subject myself to all the excessive testing rigamarole, especially since I just got a clean bill of health when I gave birth.

SO... please don't delete this post, BUT, I would like to start a CALM, RATIONAL discussion of the pros and cons of selling excess milk locally on my own. I AM NOT OFFERING THE MILK FOR SALE HERE. SERIOUSLY. NOT KIDDING.

I just want to get other input on the idea; I have the milk, it's going to get freezer burn before I expect to have real use for it, and I feel that if I can help out somebody else with supply issues or who's feeding mostly formula now, we could both benefit.

I made a similar post on the old forums, but LLL changed board providers before it got read very much. Hopefully, we can have an intelligent discussion here.

P.S.: I found this interesting:
    http://www.mummysmilk.com/info/news/norwegian-mum.html
    The response from the LLL chick almost sounds like she supports the idea of actually "assigning value" to milk as a product. What a concept!!!
    Last edited by Bekkers; February 2nd, 2006 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: I'm not upset about "overproduction", but...

Congratulations on the great supply! That's really a wonderful thing. I'm not answering your specific request for starting a discussion on selling milk, but want to offer another bit of info for consideration. Hope that's OK.

I had a similar - or even more intense - oversupply thing going on for the first 5-6 months of my sons's life. At one point I had over 200 bags of milk (seriously) in the deep freeze. I thought seriously about working with a milk bank, being sure that I'd never use it all. Now, though.....with the frozen supply down to 'only' 50 bags, I watch my pumping at work not keeping up with baby's eating while I'm gone (he's also on solids now) and I'm VERY glad that I (1) had all that extra supply, (2) that I bought a small, good extra freezer-only unit that holds a solid low temp so the milk lasts 6 months with no worries, (3) that I always used good quality milk storage bags, (4) and that I did just keep all that milk!

Your mileage may vary, of course, but just something to consider...things do change....you might just want that supply in a few months??

best of luck.................j'smom

Have you considered other uses for your milk? You could bake with it, etc - treat it as any other milk. I've seen references to breastmilk cheese and yogurt as well.

here is a link to LLLI's position on sharing milk

~ameyLLL

I have the same problem: producing about 5-6 ounces per day more. Plus my baby is 5 months old and sleeping through the night. But I am still pumping at 2-3 in the morning. I wanna give up the night pumping but I am afraid that my milk supply will go down too much. What do you think?

Regarding giving up the 2-3am pumping... Again, I had a similar situation at roughly the same time, maybe a month or so later. The guidance that I received from the lactation group I was working with was that it would be OK to ease off that pumping and that it wouldn't be a problem with supply. Are you feeding first thing in the morning still? Your body really will adjust to what the baby requires from your body. One thing to consider if you taper off the middle-of-the-night pumping though is how uncomfortable you get and if you have a predisposition to plugged ducts or blebs or anything like that. The suggestion that I got was to hand express some - not alot - of milk to ease the pressure and to offer some relief during the night for the first several days of not pumping. Keep a cloth diaper or towel by your bedside and just use that to catch the milk. If you aren't stimulating a full-on let down when you express like this you aren't really communicating the message to your body that you still need to make supply at that hour. This is what I was advised - and it seemed to go OK!
    best of luck..........j'smom