Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone?

Default Domperidone?

I took domperidone with my DD, and I cant remember when I started taking it?? My DS is now 3 weeks old, and am wondering when you all started taking it, for those they do or did???
    Thanks!!
    Lori
    Wife to Bryan
    Zoe, born 10-08-2006, 6 lbs. 2 oz. 18.75 inches long!
    Rylan, born 07-13-2008, 7 lbs. 2oz. 20.25 long!
    Loving every minute of it!!

Default Re: Domperidone?

Is there a reason that you think you need to take it this time around again? Did you have the guidance of a doctor last time around that you could talk to again? The answer to your question probably depends on why you are taking it...

I started taking it when DS was six weeks old. I was taking Reglan before that.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I started taking it when DS was weeks old. I hadn't been BFing until that time, so it helped tremendously.

My question is, when do you STOP taking it?

I had to take it the entire time I BF. Some people can wean off of it, very slowly. I tried it, thought I was all set and my supply dropped to almost nothing. I didn't have any more domperidone on hand and by the time I got my shipment, DS weaned.

If you're thinking of weaning off of it I would suggest doing it very slowly and be sure that you have some in case you need to start increasing your dose again.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2littleman View Post
    I had to take it the entire time I BF. Some people can wean off of it, very slowly. I tried it, thought I was all set and my supply dropped to almost nothing.
    That's what I thought. After about a month of taking it, I figured that "my supply is up as DS was nursing constantly"...so I stopped taking it, and my supply also dropped to almost nothing. Luckily, I have an abundant supply, I just don't enjoy having to take pills to feed my baby.

My DD is 10 months, and I've been taking dom for about 2 weeks now. It really seems to be helping, but I too don't enjoy taking a pill to keep my supply up.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.