Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old fussy at breast... gassy only at breast

Default 6 week old fussy at breast... gassy only at breast

Hi ladies,

I'm breastfeeding my 6 week old son. I have had issues with supply and I've had to supplement with pumped milk and occasional formula. (Yes, I'm working with an LC, I express often, and I've had my thyroid checked, etc.). I've noticed that over the last week my son is VERY fussy at my breast. He pulls away often, cries on and off, and seems generally unhappy. I've also noticed that he passes gas (farts) A LOT when on my breast. Is this strange? When I pump my milk and give him the bottle, I don't have the same issue. I really want to keep our nursing relationship going, but I'm finding it much easier to pump and give it to him. What could be going on??

Default Re: 6 week old fussy at breast... gassy only at breast

Could you have Overactive Letdown(OALD?) Here is a good link that might help http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Well could be a few things.
    Here is a resource that might help you figure it out... and the fussiness could be forcing the gas out, too - as opposed to the gas causing the fussiness. Let us know what you think after reading the link!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks so much. The only thing that really makes sense is a growth spurt because he is 6 weeks, so I'm not sure. I know it's not overactive letdown. We'll see if it gets better in the next couple of days.