Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about formula

Default question about formula

Okay so I am still nursing and want too but when I go to work at night we are having some problems. I had pumped all this milk for when I went back to work and now that Ryder is allergic I can't use it. So i have been trying to pump but Ryder (finally!) is draining all the EBM. So I am thinking that just in case we should have some formula in the house.......actually DH reaaly wants to have it so he doens't have to bring the baby into my work-------which is what he did last night --not good though while your cutting hair!

The problem is that Ryder is allergic to soy and dairy so what can I give him???

Default Re: question about formula

There is a kind that is dairy and soy free (Enfamil or Similac) My pedi gave me some when my son was found to have a cow's milk allergy even though I never used it. Ask your doc if they have samples to give you, I know that they get cases of it to give away and it costs $25 a can! Many docs will keep giving you the samples.

Thanks- I would feel sort of guilty about giving it to him even though I had to with the twins and I also gave Sky a bottle at night....
    I am just hvaing a hard time finding time to pump.

the formula is alimentum(similac) or nutrimagen(enfamil). these are hypoallergenic. they are meant for babies that cant tolerate milk or soy.. most babies do well on them.
    you should know however that these formulas contain trace amounts of milk. they are really broken down proteins so they dont bother most babies.
    however some babies will still not be able to tolerate these formulas due to the milk. thats when you usually need a prescription for Neocate. that is an amino acid formula for babies that cannot tolerate even alimentum or nutrimagen.

Yeah, what pp said.

Allimentum/Nutrimigen first, if dc is reacting then Neocate/Elacare.

You could also try adding a couple of pumping sessions during the day to increase your supply a little. Or, at least 1 at night if you child is sleeping a long time.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here