Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More Sleep Issues...

Default More Sleep Issues...

I am so sleep deprived I don't kow if I have posted this before. My apologies if I have. My DS is 10 mths 2wks. I have tried everything I can think of and read. Even tried CIO. That is definately not an option for me. DH and 4 older brothers think it is a complete horror for the baby to cry. I think it is for him to scream, but I can let him fuss a little. They can't. DH thinks, even if it is 3 am he needs to entertain him if he is fussing. I can't get it through there heads not to play with him that time of night(morning). We are going on day 5 of not sleeping.He really has never been the best sleeper, but better than this. I have a routine, he eats well, he will fall alseep great around 9pm. Sleeps anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes as it up till 1am at the earliest ( that's if I am lucky).I can't sit in a dark room quitly, he has a complete come apart. I feel like I am doing something wrong, but I also know I have tried everything. He doesnt nap well during the day either. I know he isn't getting the sleep he needs to develop. On a really good day he will get about 9 to 10 hrs sleep, that is a 24 hr period. This is truely a first for me. All four of my other boys were great sleepers. I just don't know what to do anymore. He is now crawling and trying to pull up so I know that is part of it too. He is a champ nurser. Will not go to sleep without nursing. I think that might be my earlier post. Nursing him to sleep is fine with me, I just want him to sleep. Poor little thing will literally fall all over the floor, bed, whatever because he is so tired. Please can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or give me ideas on something I haven't tried. Tried all the expert ideas also, Sears, Ferber, etc.etc. I think as far as sleep is concerned I am at the bottom of my rope and the knot is comign out.

Default Re: More Sleep Issues...

Hi there,
    I am going to linger and see what others have to suggest for you. Reading your plea for suggestions, it seems like you are in my house!!! (As my guy is stirring right now at 1 am, and just finally went down at 11:30. I have tried every thing suggested: lotion, cereal, solids, cluster feeds, gripe water, tylenol, music, temperature variations, CIO (for a few nights only about 30 minutes - max, etc.. My latest suggestion is taking calcium citrate before last nursing. I don't know, but night two of taking it, he slept an extra hour. I guess the theory from one friends ped is how a glass of warm milk has stuff to help an adult sleep, well, that's what this calcium is suppose to do.

My ds is only 7 1/2 months old, but I feel your exhaustion! He is trying to walk too - pulling up on everything - I jokingly tell friends at work that I consider blinking a power nap!

I am assuming you have taken a good look at your diet: caffeine, sugars, pasta, anything high in carbs - yea???

My only means of survival is nursing him to sleep and allowing him the Mommy buffet at night.

I am trying out a little behavior modification: I have a bear that sounds like a mom's heartbeat when baby is inutero, I have been playing that when I nurse him to sleep hoping to make an association/behavior change. robbing peter to pay paul I know, but, just trying anything I can to get him to sleep

Hang in there! I'm with ya on the sleep-deprivation roller coaster of life!

Dianna
    ps we tried outside air and watching airplanes today (not too close to the airport though), also days we play in the swimming pool usually merits about an hour or two more of sleep.
    Last edited by Dianna; August 5th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

My only means of survival is nursing him to sleep and allowing him the Mommy buffet at night
    do you both co-sleep? for at least part of the night?
    that what worked for me, I know it stinks!
    My almost 10 year old didn't start sleeping all night untill he was about 6.
    HE didn't wake us up anymore but would just end up in our bedroom. When we brought my 5 year old home from the hospital he started to sleep all night..and also started to wet his bed.. I would much rather them get up then wet the bed! Thats hard on them, and its hard not to get upset about it.
    So I haven't had a good nights sleep in over 10 years. lol
    On the realy bad days I just take a nap,(almost every day!) that or go to bed when the kids do, during the school year thats 8.. in the summer we are more relaxed about bed time since nobody has to get up.
    Have you tried napping during the day with the baby?
    I found if I layed down they would sleep longer. I just used that time to read a book or just relax, or watch a soap. Most days I took a nap too.
    I think if you get them napping at the same time every day, night time will go better. Sometimes kids get so tired they cann't sleep well!
    That and get up at the same time every day. MY dd is up at 7:30 like a clock.
    And it doesn't matter when she goes to bed 10:30 or 8. She still gets up at 7:30.
    You can try and early bed time too, Ive heard that worked for some!
    One of my kids I had to hold down to get to sleep even after he weaned!
    Hes my "rocket" during the day so its no wonder he cann't stop to go to bed.
    Hes doing beter now that he is older but for a while it was realy hard.
    I would nurse my dd and then give her to daddy and then go in and hold down my phillip. WE did the stories and other bedtime routines but he just wanted that hold time.

Hi again, we finally went to sleep around 1:30am this am and see the time now. I have looked at my diet and nothing has really changed since birth. I have also tried holding him snug. We do co sleep, he wiill not sleep at all at night if I am not there. I have created a monster,LOL. I have also tried putting to bed earlier, as well as, later. It is always the same. I haven't tried the calcium. Haven't heard that yet. Can you tell me more about it? I do try to take a nap occasionally, but with the older kids that is hard. The nap will be easier when school starts back, MONDAY WOOHOO! I have read several posts pertaining to high needs/ sensitive babies. How can you tell if that is your baby? I think maybe he is. He is full throttle if his eyes are open. I call him my little busy bee.

check out some of the stuff on dr sears web site
    its realy good
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

when school starts give your self permisson for your own sanity to take a nap every day!

Thank you so much for your posts. I will be taking advantage of nap time during school. I can't wait. Till then we are up again 11:45pm