Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to pump?

Default how long to pump?

i will be returning to work very soon and am wondering how long i should pump. i used to pump for 15 minutes. but my lo only nurses for 4-5 minutes at a time and i'm wondering if that's a sufficient time to pump for. i don't think he empties my breast. i don't want to pump for too long and build up my suppy because i'm looking to wean at 1 year. he's 8 months old now and eats once breast per side. he also eats solids 2-3 x a day.

Default Re: how long to pump?

Most babies can empty a breast more efficently than a pump, so you may need to go longer than 5 minutes on the pump. You might try just pumping until you get what you need for his bottle and then stopping. That way, you're not building a supply by overpumping.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I EP for DD who is 9 mo. I pump 6X a day for 15 min. each. Supply is perfect for her with a little surplus (she BF in the beginning and established my supply)
    HTH
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

It depends on your pump. With my Lansinoh double electric I get both letdowns in less than 10 min. but when I was using the Medela Swing it took be about 15-20 min. to get two let downs. I usually only get 2 let downs per boob when I pump and then I'm done.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby