Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long did you pump?

Default how long did you pump?

For you mamas who work outside of the home, did you eventually stop pumping milk, and just reserve breast milk for when you can nurse? If yes, when? I'm just curious becuase right now DS still eats very little solids, so it seems that we are going to be nursing and pumping for a while yet!

Default Re: how long did you pump?

I stoped pumping when DD turned 17 months. DH would give DD a rice milk when she woke up...between 2am and 5am. I got tired of pumping before work so now get up and nurse her at this time and then we nurse when I get home from work until bedtime. When I'm working DD gets about 15 oz of rice milk.
    DD eats well somedays and not others, depeding on how distracted she is.

I stopped pumping at about 10 months and started sending formula with him along with his solids. Pumping was becoming too much of a hassle and I figured I had done it long enough. I don't work full-time so, he doesn't get much formula and I still nurse him on demand when we're together. Sometimes my mom brings Noah to work so I can nurse him instead. When we run out of this can of formula, he will just start getting other things to drink with his food, like whole milk.

I stopped pumping at 12-13 months. My lo was a good eater and was eating a variety of solid foods.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I stopped pumping when dd2 was 16 months. It was hard b/c I felt guilty, but I wasn't getting much (I'd dropped to one session a couple of months before that and mixed with cow's milk for her at dcp). Now, we nurse am, pm and additional nap time on weekends and it's wonderful. I feel free and liberated not being tied to the pump anymore!

I pumped until ds was 24 months...

I stopped pumping when DS was 16 mo.

He's allergic to cow milk, so he gets soy milk or water at preschool.

We nurse when we're together, and I haven't seen any impact of not pumping on my supply.

DS just turned two.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I pumped until around 10 months, but am still nursing (he just turned 16 months old), pretty much once a day now. I didn't plan to stop pumping until he was a year old, but I reached the point where I was unable to let down with the pump, and constantly worrying about it was making the problem worse. I don't miss pumping, but I still haven't been able to pack up the pump--it just seems so final.

My son turns two this month. I am still pumping - although only once a day - he drinks about 10 oz while I am at work - eats 3 meals of solids and snacks and nurses at bedtime and during the night if he wakes. Will be glad to finally give up the pump at some point

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg