Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4mos and refuses the bottle

Unhappy 4mos and refuses the bottle

I need HELP!!!!! My 4mo (who is completley BF) had no prob taking the bottle 1-2 times a week until a month ago. He has been refusing to take the bottle and I will be returning to work in 2 weeks. I have tried different bottles, nipples, temps, different positions, been out of the house, and having my husband feed him. He will start drinking about 1/2 oz and then stop. It's a challenge to get him to drink another oz b/c he will push the nipple out with his tongue or turn his head. He will be going to DC and they won't feed him through cups or syringe. Work will not allow me to leave to BF him, so I really need advice!!! I've read several articles and tried lots of their advice and still no go. I have been trying to give him a bottle everyday for the past 2 weeks to try to get him to take it. Does anyone know of anything else I can try?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this and appreciate you sharing and helping me out!

Default Re: 4mos and refuses the bottle

He will eventually eat at daycare. He won't starve himself.

These articles have good information, I apologize if you've already read them:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bottle.html

http://www.workandpump.com/bottles.htm

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I am in the same exact position but she has always refused the bottle. I just don't know what to do!
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

I had tried to give my LO expressed breastmilk in a bottle early on when I had very sore nipples and she never took it. Then, I developed foremilk/hindmilk inbalance due to an oversupply which caused LO some very runny stools. The ped told me to give her pedialyte to replenish her body with electrolytes while the runny stools subsided. I bought grape flavored pedialyte and put it in a bottle to give it to her. She struggled with the nipple texture at first but once she tasted the grape flavor she sucked that thing right in! The sweet grape flavor was enticing enough for her to forget about the nipple issue. She's had no problem with the bottle since then. I now am back to work and am pumping at work and my child care provider bottle feeds her with no problem.

It may be a strange method, but it worked for my LO. She's bottle fed during the day and I put her on the boob in the evenings and she's doing great so far. You may also want to purchase and Adiri brand bottle. They make bottles and nipples shaped like your natural breast. I have one and my LO seems to like it although she takes in any nipple now.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

My boy never takes bottle but he likes his sippy cup. It might work for you.

thanks for the advice! I'm going to see his ped tomorrow and ask him if I have an imbalance in my milk since he still has very runny bm.

I'm also going to try a sippy cup and see if that works. :

Any luck yet? I am having the same problem. He just pushed the nipple around like he doesn't know what to do with it. Ironic since he was bottle-fed EM for the first 4 weeks. I only have 2 weeks before I go back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babytalk View Post
    Any luck yet? I am having the same problem. He just pushed the nipple around like he doesn't know what to do with it. Ironic since he was bottle-fed EM for the first 4 weeks. I only have 2 weeks before I go back to work!
    My DS has now been in DC for a week now and he takes the bottles here and there. This past week his patterns of eating is about 4-7oz of EBM for 9hrs. I am a little concerned because he is not eating as much, so I am diaper counting and making sure he has enough wet diapies...I feel so bad because when we get home, he eats so much from me and through out the night. In addition, he has started to wake up 3 times at night again to nurse. I'm sure it's still an adjustment for him and hope to see an improvement with his eating habits return soon.

Good luck to you!!! I wish you the best!

I had this same problem. I was supposed to take 3 months off of work and ended up taking 6 months off because I feared my daughter would starve to death. Needless to say, she is 9 months now and has been in daycare since 6 months and she has never taken a bottle in her life. I tried every bottle out there (I have boxes and boxes of them) and every nipple out there. I tried it warm and I tried it cold - you name it and nothing. I even had others try and still nothing. I then learned through reading the book "Nursing Mothers Working Mothers" by Gail Pryor that some babies just don't like bottles. That's mine. My doctor told me to try a sippy cup - I thought she was nuts. It worked. Now, she doesn't eat much while at daycare - prefers to wait me out - but she does drink some.

The lactation consultant I worked with told me that there has never been a case where a baby has purposely starved themselves. Your child will adapt. That's hard to accept - I used to cry for hours. But it is true.

I thought I was the only one with a baby that didn't like a bottle. She refused the bottle (and I tried every brand, size, etc as well) for months until I finally gave up trying. At around 6 months, someone suggested that I try a sippy cup. That worked! I like the Nuby brand, the top is soft, so it's more like a nipple. HOpe that helps!