Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Combination Feeding Or Daytime weaning

Default Combination Feeding Or Daytime weaning

I am going back to work next week and planned on weaning my 10 month old DD for her daytime feedings. The plan was to eliminate one feeding this week (mid afternoon) and next week I would eliminate the second one and BF her the rest of the time when home. I tried to give her formula (sippy cup then bottle) and she refused it once she tasted it. Unfortunately the way my schedule is going to be, pumping will be very difficult. It is SO hard to pump anyway and stay on top of things.

I've read that you can slowly add formula to expressed BM (which she will take) to get her to take formula. Is this the best way to get her to take it? I have some frozen milk and don't want to waste any BM! If I did manage to pump for two months could I just switch to cow milk? I wonder if she'd drink it... at least it'd taste better than formula!!
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: Combination Feeding Or Daytime weaning

A combination is what I did - I use as much BM as possible and fill in with formula as needed. Obviously, as time went on, more formula (and eventually cow's milk) was used and less BM. You can mix BM with formula if they are the same temperature (according to my pedi) - maybe trying a small mixture to see if your lo will take it. That way you won't lose too much BM if lo won't take it. or, I always started out by giving a few ounces of only BM in the bottle and then refilling the same bottle with a few ounces of formula (for the same feeding)- it worked for me. After a while, I started mixing them with success.

HTH - Good Luck!
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

whats your schudle like?
    hows she doing on solids?

Sometimes moms can just give solids and water or juice when they are are appart and then nurse more when they are together..

You'll figure out what works best for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    whats your schudle like?
    hows she doing on solids?
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to pump again. I did it for 5 months when I went back in Jan. I'm a teacher and the way my schedule will be this year I will only be able to pump about an hour and a half after she eats in the morning. They are making our classes longer and putting my only break first thing in the morning. I doubt I'll be lucky enough not to have afternoon duty.

I guess I could try pumping once a day for two more months and see if she'd take cow's milk. I know it tastes better than formula to me!

I tried giving her 3 oz of BM with 1oz of formula and she refused it and just didn't eat (milk at least) until around 4pm (last feed at 10:30am). At 4pm I figured I'd normally be home anyway and fed her. She does pretty good with solids and loves water from her sippy.

Would she be fine with BF 2X in morning (as much as I can get her to eat), when I pick her up (4), and before bed. She can eat as much as she wants when I'm home.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

that should be plenty at that age with some solids...

You guys will work it out

Don't be surprized if she starts getting up during the night if she is sleeping all night now.
    With all the schudle changes and going back to day care.

ITs an adjustment for them.
    But you will figure it out.