Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: names or signs for nursing

Default names or signs for nursing

For those with older little ones, what do they say or do when they want to nurse? Did they come up with what they call it on their own or did you coach them to use certain words or signs? My dd is 9 1/2 mos old & I plan to continue nursing for awhile- just wondering if I should be trying to teach her what to say or if she'll come up with something on her own (hopefully that's not embarrassing)
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: names or signs for nursing

I think most babies will call it whatever they hear you calling it (or some approximation of such). We always just said "milk" so that is what DS says. I told DH to stop using silly words like "titty sauce" unless he wanted DS shouting it out in public. The sign for "milk" is also very easy for most babies (just opening and closing a fist) and is a nice way for them to ask to nurse before they learn to talk.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

When DS was about 10 mo I taught him the sign for "milk" - it's opening and closing a fist.

I had enough of DS pulling on my shirt and "crying" when he wanted to nurse, and he caught on to using the sign instead really quickly.

I had read lots of stories about moms being embarrassed by older LO yelling things like "boobie" in public, so early on decided to pick a name for nursing that I wouldn't later regret hearing my LO yell loudly in public.

I used "mommy milk" - and that's what DS says now. DS is 2 yo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*FluffyN View Post
    I told DH to stop using silly words like "titty sauce" unless he wanted DS shouting it out in public.

For us it was stopping saying "boob juice".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

DS signed milk for a long time, then when he started talking more he came up with "baba" so people think he's saying byebye or wants his bottle

We use sign language sign too for milk and say milk at the same time. Lo is 15 months this week and still uses milk and sign together.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

With ds1 we always used the term Mommy's milk. He was able to pronounce it as mee-mee's. So we ended up just teaching ds2 mee-mee's. Dh said he was so grateful after he took ds1 to the store and went past the lingerie dept., my ds started pointing and saying mee-mee's and not something else.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

ARound 12 months she started lifting my shirt..so I starting saying Num Nums....... She doesn't say it on her own that much.. but when she starts sucking her thumb and getting crappy and clingy... I ask her if she wants Num nums and she knows what it means. She starts laughing and comes over to me to nurse.
    Sometimes if she wants to nurse I catch her saying Nummmmmmmmm NUmmmmmmmmm NUmmy nummy Nummmmm num.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My son pants like a dog. Just now though as he's cut back on nursing to once every few days he says "Milk."
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)