Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and overnight(s) Hospital stay

Exclamation BF and overnight(s) Hospital stay

Okay the time is getting closer and I’m getting nervous, I’ve only been away from DS for maybe 2 hours at the most when not at work. In October I will be having Surgery, it’s an open Surgery and I will need to stay 24-72 hours depending on how everything goes. I am still BF and have no Intentions of stopping. How do I deal with this, I mean I know I can pump and have someone feed DS a bottle, but I really want to see him, is it wrong to have someone bring him to me in the hospital, I think I’ll die spending the night away from him… he’s never not nursed first thing in the AM, never had a bottle for this feeding??? What if he wakes up in the night??? He’s never not had me there to nurse in the night??? He’ll be 11 months when this happens and I’m going crazy already…. PLEASE someone tell me they’ve BTDT or something!!!

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: BF and overnight(s) Hospital stay

I'll share my experience. I was in the hospital 4 nights when DS was 18 months. He was still nursing all day and night so it was a bit rough on both of us, but the good news is that once I was out, things got back to normal really fast and there was no lasting damage.
    Do you know what kinds of meds you will be on and if they are compatable with bfing? I didn't have surgery or anything, but all the drugs they gave me were okay for bfing. Bring your LLL leader's number in case you need her to look up anything in Hale. I think I called my leader 6 times the day they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me.
    The hospital lent me a pump which I used a couple of times a day and sent the milk home with DH. And DH brought DS to me once or twice a day to nurse too. My milk supply definitely suffered (I was so dehydrated from a high fever that I would almost pass out after pumping or nursing), but rebounded within a couple of days of getting better.
    The first night by themselves was not easy for DH & DS. Z cried a lot and didn't fall asleep until after midnight, but DH held him and cuddled him and comforted him as best he could. After that DH was able to just rock him to sleep, and that second night that I was gone was the first time Z ever slept through the night.
    I felt so awful for leaving the kids, but they didn't hold a grudge. I'm sure you'll make it through too. Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Get together with your doc/surgeon to talk about how you can incorporate nursing. Maybe talk with them about what medications you'll be on, how soon you can bring your LO into nurse, if you'll be able to have them spend the night. Also make sure to tell your nurse your a nursing mother (they give a bigger portion of food!).
    See if he can be with you and then take it from there! It will all work out
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks Katie, and Jessica... my OB will be the one performing the surgery and he is well aware that we have been BF and will still be, the only meds i will be on is Pain medication and possibly some antibiotics... i am having a Myomectomy to remove a large fibroid (more details in my thread about Lupron)

i hav the Kellymom Printout on meds but taking my leader's number is a great idea, we actually have 3 leaders in my group and they are all pretty awesome and have helped me tremendously with support through this ordeal...i have a meeting next wednesday and i'll be bringing this up to update everyone anyway

I plan to have people (not sure who will be here when exactly) stay with DH and DS, and i for sure want to have him come see me to nurse as much as possible, about spending the night with me, i thought about this and here is what concerns/confuses me, i will have a big incision so someone else would have to stay as well to help with DS on a couch or in a chair i'm sure, and where would ds sleep? isn't it bad to have him stay in a hospital full of germs? would i need to ask the hospital about this ahead of time?

finally i could ask whoever is staying with us (probably my Best Friend) to bring DS to me first thing in the am and stay at the hospital most of the day with him, If i can swing this should they give him a bottle before leaving home or just drive to the hosp with him possibly crying for me to nurse???? this first nursing session is the one that worries me the most we suually lay there and cuddle for an hour every day even before i go to work, we even take a bath together every night....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I'd let your friend offer a bottle before coming to visit if he wants it - even if he drinks it he'll probably be more than happy to nurse when he sees you.

I wouldn't have wanted my LOs to stay in the hospital with me. Maybe if you have a private room (I had a roommate with dementia who kept screaming and pulling out her IVs) and someone willing to stay with the both of you. A newborn would be one thing, but a curious, mobile, almost-one-year-old could get into a lot of mischief in a boring hospital room. Also the germs (I was paranoid when my kids visited - "don't touch!" "stop licking the furniture!", "wash your hands!", "wash them again!") and IME there is not a lot of peace and quiet in a hospital.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I agree there are definite concerns depending on what sort of room you have. If you have a shared room I'm not even sure they'd allow anyone to stay with you. How far is the hospital? Maybe your DH and family/friends can bring your LO when he really seems to need to nurse and when he's doing ok let you rest.

Does the hospital have a park or play area close if it's far? Just thinking if someone could take him to run wild for a little bit if he gets restless while he's visiting you.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

it's only about 15 min to our house, plus i'll be cut just as bad as my classical cesarean, i think he'll stay at home with dh and my friend, maybe i'll get lucky and only have to stay 24 hours

katie, you made me laugh, i'd be just as paranoid about the germs...

thanks llladies, i'm sure i'll need more as it gets closer, but you guys made me feel better and i have a plan to get contact info for my leader next week

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Good! A plan always makes me feel better!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader