Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My social butterfly

Default My social butterfly

My DD is 15, almost 16, weeks old. Lately, when I am nursing her, she likes to pop off and smile and coo and talk to me and I LOVE IT! She is SO cute!

The problem is that she is way more interested in socializing than eating these days. She rarely gets in a full meal because she is so busy gazing up at me..and while I SO hate to complain (she really is the cutest thing on the planet!), an hour or so later she is grumpy as can be and fussing and crying because she is so hungry and letdown is not immediate.

I absolutely HATE to discourage her from being so social. Even if I don't smile back and chat with her, she will still keep grinning at me and cooing away.

Any ideas? Did your babies do this around this age? How did you handle it?

Default Re: My social butterfly

My DS has been doing the same thing for the past few weeks (he's 4mos this week). He is very distracted by anything going on around him while he's nursing. I also love it when he looks up and smiles and talks to me. BUT I have started taking him to his quiet bedroom with the lights low to nurse. Sometimes I even have to cover his head and avoid any kind of eye contact. It's normal. They are starting to wake up to the world around them and it's just too interesting to focus on something like eating. I hear that this distractability is a struggle for nursing moms for awhile. Hang in there!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

my little girl has been like this for ages now, and shes starting to get worse, before it was just looking and smiling a babbling while trying to gte her to feed, now shes trying roll aound the bed while feeding, which is becoming painful, but at the same time funny. I'm stuck for what to do and i can only feed on my right side laying down.

I know that I read somewhere that around this age infants begin to interact more with the world around them- my daughter is 5 months, and is easily distracted from nursing if there's too much other stuff going on-she more than makes up for it during the evening and night when all is quiet. I have taken to nursing her more in her room, where i can control the distractions(I have a 6 year old and a ddog!) and that helps sometimes. When she's truly really hungy, she doesn't leave the breast for any reason!!!

mine is doing the same thing! i am so glad you posted this. i haven't mentioned it, bc like you said, i hate to complain- it is so cute when she would rather babble and smile at me than eat- but it is causing problems bc she is hungry 30-60 mins later! i try not look at her so she'll focus, but how can you not?

aren't they so cute! Just wait.. When they figure out how to talk thats when it gets fun.
    My dd is 3 and one night we were getting ready to go to sleep..
    she starts nursing.. then pulls off says "Mommy?" Yes SArah..
    "Why did somebody steal Philllip's bike?" I don't now go to sleep..

Well...I hate to bring bad (or good!) news, but my dd is 7.5 months old and it hasn't stopped yet, althought it has gotten better. She is sooo social and it is sooo cute. It is impossible to nurse in public anymore and impossible to nurse with anyone except dh in the room. She just wants to socialize. I have just put up with the nursing every hour, on demand and even though she doesn't get a full meal at any one sitting, she is still gaining. She nurses great at night though (ugghhh) so she makes up for it. Just enjoy the little smiles and be patient. They grow so quickly.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

OMG! I am sooo glad you guys wrote about this! I was going to start a new thread like that one that was going about if "I had it to over I would give a bottle everyday so I could get away". Remember that one? Well mine was going to go "If I had it to do over again, I'd introduce the Nursing Necklace between 4 & 5 months instead of waiting until 6 & 1/2!!!"
    Here's Why: What you are seeing is the BEGINNING! It get's much WORSE!! They begin to poke your eyes, pull your hair, and PINCH your breasts! I waited until six and 1/2 months and it's been WORK to retrain. WHat I mean by that is at 1st it was so exciting he didn't want to eat....and then while I CAN get him to take it he still trys to grab and touch my breast while it's in his hands because he associates the pinching and pulling with eating!!! If it had done it sooner I think it would have gone much better. 1st of all, we only put the necklace on for feedings so he's associate it with eating by this point and if I had got it on while he was still just trying to LOOK at the world instead of trying TOUCH it, it would have been the obvious thing to focus on because it's big and brightly colored and has a bunch of sensory beads so when he was finally ready to reach out and touch, this would have been WAY more interesting ( I think) than my mouth or my boob. More importantly he would asscociate twiddleing the necklace with eating rather pinching me! So that's my advice from the future. Get a nursing necklace now!! Your babies are still in the window! I paid good money for mine and I'm committed to making it work because he really really hurts me but I wish I would have got it before it got to this point!

Thanks ladies! I now have REALLY good reason to figure out a solution to this. DD has been sleeping through the night for over a month. Last night she was up FOUR times to nurse!!! AHHH!!

YAWN

We have to get back to eating well during the daytime...

DJs mom--you are so lucky that the necklace works for you. Dd can't twiddle and nurse at the same time so any distraction is a bad one . She doesn't really hurt me like you lo does, but she definitely likes my hair and mouth--but has to unlatch to play with it. Some days are better than others and lately things have been okay, but I sure wish a necklace would work. I guess I haven't really tried a nursing necklace, but my beeded necklace doesn't work at all--she wants to play with it, mouth it, etc, but not while nursing. It just distracts her from the task at hand!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes