Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods to avoid?

Default Foods to avoid?

DS (3 weeks) has tons of poopy diapers and his hiney is RED. He cries when I wipe him so I know it hurts. I'm wondering if I'm eating the wrong foods and causing his tummy to be upset. So what should I not eat??? Or what should I eat???

Default Re: Foods to avoid?

HM, do you have a lot of acidic things in your diet? OJ, red sauce? What about any family history of food allergy's or eczema? I think that I would start a food diary and get some Flanders Buttox cream or some desitin, let the rash clear up and watch in the food diary for connections and future sore bottoms. All the best! Brittan

what kind of wipes are you using?
    one of my kids (I cann't think now who) couldn't stand one kind of wipes.
    they made his poor bottom red and sore.
    I used washclothes and water with that baby. There was just something in them that bothered his skin..
    if it's red and bumpy also you might have a case of yeast rash. I little bit of over the counter yeast cream can take care of that. I get the rite aid brand becuase it was a few $$$ cheaper then monistat.

The only food that seems to definitely cause problems for an infant's digestive system are dairy products (milk, cream, butter; not eggs ) Think of your breastmilk like your blood. In other words, the foods/drinks that effect your blood will effect your BM, but foods that cause gas in your intestines do not cause gas in your blood, KWIM?

Like the pp, i would watch what wipes you are using. Our dd had nearly 10 poopy diapers a day in the early days, so the frequency with which you're changing your baby warrants extra attention to what goes on his bottom. For the first 3 months we used clear water and either cotton balls or these little woven flat wipes we'd wet with the water. Now we go back and forth between those and an unscented wipe with aloe and e. Make sure you're SLATHERING LO's dry bottom with zinc oxide or some other barrier against wetness. Make sure LO's bottom is dry, though, otherwise you'll just be locking that wetness to his skin, making the rawness worse. If it's a yeast infection, none of that will matter much (it will need other attention), and LO will also probably have thrush (yeast infection in the mouth), but from your post it sounds more like rawness from the frequent cleaning.

His bottom is red in a few places - like spots here and there - one or two times I've wiped a tiny bit of blood when cleaning. They are not bumpy though. I use zinc oxide and baby powder. I haven't made sure his hiney is not damp though before putting it on so I'll pay attention to that.

I was using Kuddles wipes, but over the weekend I used Huggies and it seemed to get worse. I'll have to check out the bag of Huggies and see if they are fragrance free or not. Hadn't thought about the wipes.

I just feel so sorry for him and thought maybe I was eating something to make him use the bathroom so much. I've laid off eating anything but bread and meat for now. I was eating alot of ice cream so I wonder if that might have contributed. I'll keep eating like this for 2-3 days and see if he slows down on the BM's.

If ya'll can think of anything else, please let me know.

My son had skin that was literally blistered by the brand of diapers I was using. When I switched the problem went away.

We went thru bad diaper rash as well early on. I ended up changing from Huggies to Pampers diapers and using only Huggies extra sensitive wipes. Although any with no fragrace or alcohol should do. I also had to get prescription cream from the doc. She said it was a yeast rash so info from pp is right - get OTC yeast cream. It did clear up when she had less poopies everyday too. See if the change in diet helps and hang in there!!

What does a yeast rash look like?

I too changed from Huggies to Pampers and it got better, but now it's back again.

sometimes the yeast rash can look like a diaper rash but it can have some "crustys" on it? Does that make since? Also, rule of thumb if it does not respond to regular diaper creams after a few days then you can assume yeast.

and its very red and "ouchy" is that even a word looking....
    maybe i can find a pic on line...
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...t=142&ei=UTF-8