Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dwindling supply for one breast?

Default Dwindling supply for one breast?

For the last two nights, when I wake up for middle of night feeding (after 5-6 hours) my left breast is hard and large and my right breast is softer and smaller. My daughter still gets milk from it, but I'm worried the supply might be dwindling there. What could cause that and how do I handle it? I switch the starting breast with each feeding, but she usually drinks well from both. Also, I pumped both sides right after the 9 p.m. feeding.

Default Re: Dwindling supply for one breast?

We usually all have one side that produces more milk. It will often be the child "favorite" initially as it produces more and baby has to do less "work" to feed on that side. Just be consistent about feeding off of each side equally. Including, if a side only gets a few gulps before falling asleep, make sure and put her back to that breast next time she's hungry. It's tempting to put the child to the breast that you know is full even when it's not that one's turn....but that will just exaserbate the problem. Case in point: my son is 7months old. Left one early favorite. I've done a bunch of things to "even out" my flow. But if I'm not diligent about it, it STILL leaks! So I have to make sure and NEVER feed off of it twice in a row or pump more than 1 or 2 oz from it! HTH!

Default Re: Dwindling supply for one breast?

I have always had this same problem. For some reason, I could BF my girl on the left side alone since it makes so much milk!! But the right side does okay, just a lot less than the left. To try to keep balance, I try to feed off the right every feeding, even if it's only for a little bit, just to keep the supply up on that side. Try always offering the low side first, and let baby nurse as long as they want. Hope you atleast don't look lopsided sometimes like I do-when I'm full, one side is almost a cup size bigger than the other!!!