Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question...

Default Question...

How long after I eat does my lo "taste" what I ate? My pediatrician thinks my lo may have a dairy alergy and I am trying to figure out of it's dairy and/or other things that are making her fussy.

Default Re: Question...

Well it does depend...

what kind of symptoms are concerning you to the point of thinking it's an issue with dairy?

how old is baby?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yup and dairy is tricky cause it hangs around in your milk for a long time....
    Have you cut it out and seen improvement?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

Dairy allergies/sensitivities in baby's are very common, and can present in different forms, ie: fussiness, diarrhea, dermititis...Milk proteins can be difficult for them to digest. It might not necessarily be an allergy per se, but a "temporary sensitivity" to dairy that they eventually outgrow. DS was "colicky", but seemed to improve when I cut out all dairy. Now at 21 months old, cheese is his favorite food. My sisters LO had severe excema, until she cut out all dairy. Now at 10 months she has reintroduced dairy into her diet, and he is handling it fine. Of course there are many other things it could be, but dairy is very common...

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post

Well it does depend...

what kind of symptoms are concerning you to the point of thinking it's an issue with dairy?
    Last Thursday she had blood in her stool so I took her to the ped. on Friday. He gave me cultures to culture her stools on Monday and Tuesday. I took them back to the dr and one tested positive for blood. They x-rayed her belly and all was clear. The dr said that the most common cause of blood in the stool is a dairy allergy so she suggested eliminating dairy from my diet and coming back in 3 weeks with some stool cultures to see.
    Blood in her stool is really the only symptom that she has had. She is a really good baby. I have noticed in the past week she is spitting up more often and seems to be more gasy.

how old is baby?
    12 weeks

In response to Andrea from ohio, I just started cutting out dairy on Tuesday afternoon and haven't noticed a difference yet.

You said that dairy can hang around in my milk for a long time. How long would you say a long time is?

In my experience and from what information I've gathered, it could take weeks for it to leave your system and then weeks on top of that for it to leave babies system. Realistically I wouldn't 'give up' until 4-6 weeks into elimination. And that would be elimination of all obvious dairy.. hidden dairy is a little more tricky.

What symptoms are you noticing??
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She is a really great baby. She has never shown signs of colic. The blood in her stool is the only real symptom that I have had. She has been a little gassier the past week and that has caused her to have 1 or 2 fussy fits a day. I think she has been spitting up a litte more often. (Seems I've needed to change my shirt more often than usual.) I don't know if the spitting up and gassiness are real symptoms or if I am just being supersensitive to everything she does right now trying to find symptoms of an allergy.

I have been reading labels like crazy to try to avoid eating foods with hidden dairy. I have read that hot dogs have dairy and I ate 2 turkey hot dogs for lunch today. OOOps

Hebrew National are dairy free. Lunch meats aren't regulated by the same allergy labeling standards so they're harder to tackle...

Only given the info you've shared, I wouldn't say there's a strong need to think there's an allergy at this point. (but I am not your childs doc ) I would continue to cut out obvious dairy for a few more weeks and see what happens. The info you've shared is very similar to that which my Sister In Law experienced. Blood streak were her only indication there might be an issue. SHe eliminated dairy for months and now has a LO who is allergy free. SO thats nice!!!!

Keep us posted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I have a friend whose son had blood in his stool and she was sent to several doctors whom all told her to put her son on some hypoallergenic formula. She did not want to at all, so she did tons of research herself and went on the elimination diet. She eventually came to realize that if she didn't eat anything with dairy or soy in it her son was fine, no more blood in his stool.