Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here comes school time - and the tears....

Default Re: Here comes school time - and the tears....

Well, the big day is still approaching for me- Tuesday of next week and I am already worked up and not sleeping over it. I have been looking for alternate employment since I was on maternity leave in March and April. Since I have yet to find anything, I have to go back to a school that I am not certain I want to be at. I know that it will be a struggle with only two 40 min preps per week, alternating lunch duty, and a 3/4 split class with 24 kids. When I write that all out, all I can think is when am I going to have time to pump?? My baby has been sleeping through the night (9pm-5am, nurse and then 5:30am-9:30am) and then nursing close to every two and a half hours during the day. I already have an oversupply, so I am not sure how this will work- I can't go 6 hours without pumping, and we have an extended school day. I guess I will have to work it out with admin soon. I have hoped to find something different, so I have remained somewhat in denial until today and yesterday. Tomorrow and Thurs are my last alone days with her. I just worry so much - she is a pretty high needs baby, cries and fusses very often, and needs a very flexible schedule. My childcare options are very limited, and it seems everyone around believes babies need to be on a schedule. If I could only get the job at the hospital that I applied for. What a blessing that would be- 3 days a week, 7pm-7am, no childcare.

Tandem breastfeeding momma to Ellory 2.28.08 and Mallory 6.30.09
    Loving every minute of it!

Lamluvr,
    I am so sorry for you. That sounds very hard. Please let us know how it goes. I also work at a school with limited prep times and I do lunch and recess everyday alone with my kiddos...

Please know that you are NOT alone. We all struggle with some of the same things.

I am pumping at work (once) but wondering what I am going to do when I have a field trip, or parent conferences, etc. etc.

And my lo is starting to sleep through the night, also. I am praying that she will reverse cycle so that she will sleep more when she is away from me.

All the best to you and let us know how we can help you cope.

Well...I've gotten one full week in w/students and doing okay. DD's realizing that I'm not just leaving her for a little while so she's been crying when I leave the last few days I've left her. I have been able to pump once a day. I got to spend last Tues. with DD because there was no school due to a Hurricane that didn't really affect us.

I still hate every minute away, but we are managing. I just wish she would be nap better while I'm away so she wouldn't be so grumpy later.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

First day to day care was today. I dropped her off at 10:30, and dh picked up at 3:30. She refused the bottle. Didn't eat for six hours. Then I became the human snack bar when I got home. Not so bad now, but what happens when I need to fix dinner, do a load of laundry, etc. Oh well, I love that she wants to be close. This won't last forever.

BTW I just now received an email from the boss about tomorrow (our first official day as a staff) and it indicated that we could dress casual, but no jeans, shorts, or t-shirts. Also, more professional dress for the evening- what the heck. We usually come in and work in our rooms, etc so we wear jeans so we don't ruin our good stuff. Argh. I just wish I could stay home and not focus my energy on this school.

I feel for you! Second day of daycare today for my lo. She actually ate 12 oz. total while there, much more than I thought... you should actually be grateful that she is wanting to eat with you - a huge blessing, even though it makes dinner prep, etc. more difficult. You'll find a way - freezing meals over the weekend and the occasional take - out. Ask someone to come over to help you clean, etc. Can DH help extra??? Blessings to you ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lamluvr01 View Post
    First day to day care was today. I dropped her off at 10:30, and dh picked up at 3:30. She refused the bottle. Didn't eat for six hours. Then I became the human snack bar when I got home. Not so bad now, but what happens when I need to fix dinner, do a load of laundry, etc. Oh well, I love that she wants to be close. This won't last forever.
    When my DD was younger she did this...for a few days. Then once she figured out the routine and realized she'd get hungry waiting around for me, she started taking the bottle. It would start with a few ozs one day, then a few more, then a few more until she was drinking all that I thought she needed. So, give it a few more days and you LO might surprise you.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lamluvr01 View Post
    BTW I just now received an email from the boss about tomorrow (our first official day as a staff) and it indicated that we could dress casual, but no jeans, shorts, or t-shirts. Also, more professional dress for the evening- what the heck. We usually come in and work in our rooms, etc so we wear jeans so we don't ruin our good stuff. Argh. I just wish I could stay home and not focus my energy on this school.
    That's crazy. We always dress casual on teacher days! I usually wear shorts and many others do too. The only day we had to dress up before school started was orientation and that's obvious.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Well, today was better. Yesterday, she ate 2 oz. Sitter just heated up the bottle and sat it in front of her on the coffee table. SHe said she knew she was hungry and wanted to eat, but was not interested in the bottle, so she was going to let her go to the bottle. Eventually she wanted it. Interesting way to deal with it- quite clever anyway. Today she ate 10 oz, but ate every hour to hour and a half just a bit at a time. This likely means that she will sleep through the night which will make my hubby happy.

I am just finding it terribly difficult to be away- especially to teach at a school that I am not entirely excited about working at. I am glad to have a position and that we do not have to go into debt, but it just kills me to be there while she is at daycare. I am sure it will get better.

I hope all of the other teachers out there are coping well.

I'm feeling the exact same way! Although, I'm to the point where I almost don't care if we go into debt! It's hard when you transition to two kiddos because neither one gets your full attention. I also feel bad for my class because my mind is almost always somewhere else. I hope it will get easier, but it doesn't feel like it. I am going to do some extensive research on things I can do while at home! Glad to hear your lo drank 10 oz! They adjust better than we do, I think. HOpe your teaching goes well.

A friend of mine really struggles with the idea of her DD being at a daycare center. So, she decided to call it "school." Her DD goes to "school" every day. She says this takes a bit of the sting away from having to work and not be near DD because it reminds her that her DD is learning a lot of things like being social, independence, trusting other adults, and she's learning by watching what other kids her age are doing (her DD is 1yr).
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09