Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here comes school time - and the tears....

Default Here comes school time - and the tears....

Tears x2..... .I am a school teacher and am preparing to return to work. The idea of not being able to BF my lo during the day is making me so sad. In the next two weeks I have to get him used to taking a bottle. I think it is extra hard because this is LO #3 and our last.....so, any "new stage" in his growing is so sad b/c I know it will be the last time I experience that stage. (My DH decided last night to mention that we need to make an appointment for him to get a vasc. - can anyone else see how this was not the right time for that statement? more tears!)

I know I should feel so lucky - I have been home with LO since April, but I don't think we are ever ready to leave them.

the second reason to tear up.....my oldest is beginning first grade!! They just grow way too fast! I am hoping that this year will be easier than last year to see her getting on that bus - hard for me but of course she loved it!

I know that there are other teachers out there beginning the tears as they think of returning to work and moms out there sad knowing that their little ones will be heading off to school.....s to you all!
    Last edited by @llli*bbbs-mom; July 31st, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Default Re: Here comes school time - and the tears....

I'm not a teacher, but my oldest is starting school this year and my baby might just be our last (not sure yet) so every milestone is bittersweet.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

That first year is so hard! You are so proud of them, but also worrying about everything and sad to realize just how much they have grown! Is your oldest excited? nervous? a little of both? It helped my daughter when I shared with her that not only will all the other kids be a little nervous, so will her teacher! (I always am that first day! )

I wish you and your LO #1 the best as you start the school year.
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

Right now he just seems excited, but I suspect some nervousness will creep in. At least he had preschool last year.

Best of luck to you too!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I can sympathize. I've been off from work June and July and have to go back on Aug 11. Going back this time is going to be way harder than going back after maternity leave. Back then, DD was only 12weeks and so it wasn't too hard to leave a kid who mostly slept. But now that DD is 1, she's just sooooo much fun and learning so many new things and has this great personality. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about going back to work. But, I'm sure after a few days we'll all settle back into our old routine.

Hugs to you.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    I can sympathize. I've been off from work June and July and have to go back on Aug 11. Going back this time is going to be way harder than going back after maternity leave. Back then, DD was only 12weeks and so it wasn't too hard to leave a kid who mostly slept. But now that DD is 1, she's just sooooo much fun and learning so many new things and has this great personality. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about going back to work. But, I'm sure after a few days we'll all settle back into our old routine.

Hugs to you.
    I am right there w/ you! I went back to teaching in Jan after 12 weeks pp. It was definitely the hardest thing I ever did but I managed - like you said, she slept all the time and the personality was just starting to come out. Now, I will be returning back to teaching when DD is 10 months. We are having so much fun. She is learning so much and developing such a personality. It gives me that same feeling in my stomach. I get sad thinking about going back. As you said, we will get back into our old routine.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I'm going to tear up just reading these posts! I am a teacher too, and I am dreading next week (teachers report tuesday). It was hard to go back in April when she was 8 weeks, but I had the summer to look forward to. Now, as pp said, it's going to be even HARDER to leave her. I hate that we need the money in this awful economy.

Plus, my DS2 is starting kindergarten! As far as I'm concerned, he still IS my baby!

to all us teacher mommies! (and those mommies whose babies are going to school for the first time!)
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

I can completely relate. I'm a first time mom and I go back to school on the 11th. My 4 mo. old is not good at taking a bottle yet, and I'm beginning to freak out. I've never left her before (she'll be staying with my mil, not sure about that...). I keep telling myself it won't be long until Christmas break! It sure is going to be hard driving away on that first day. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

leaving her the first time was hands down the hardest thing i ever did...i don't think i have ever cried that much!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I completely understand! I, too, am a teacher and will be returning soon! I am trying to get my 4mo to take a bottle and he's having a hard time. He will be going to DC and I dread the day I have to leave him. He is my first and have been home with him since April. Ahh...sigh...tear....