Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The IUD Mirena...

Default The IUD Mirena...

I have a 2 week old and was planning on getting the IUD Mirena in about 4 weeks until my OB told me that it might interfere with my milk supply. But every where else that I have read says that it will not...Is there anybody that has any advice or is using the IUD that could help me? I dont want to be on the pill and my husband frowns at the idea of using barrier methods. Thanks to any that helps!!

Default Re: The IUD Mirena...

I have the Mirena (love it!) and I am like a milk cow - no interfering with supply here! I just pumped 6 ounces!

good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I don't have Mirena myself, but from what I've read, some women using it have problems with milk supply and some don't. There's no way to know which camp you'll fall into without trying the thing out. There is, however, an alternative to Mirena which is not a barrier method: a non-hormonal IUD. I believe the brand name is Paragaurd.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have the Mirena as well and have not had any milk supply issues. I specifically asked my dr about this and she reassured me it should not intefere with breastfeeding. So far, I think it's great!

Had the Mirena and it did affect my suppy but not in a negative way. I actually had an increase in milk. However I ended up taking it out due to my body rejecting it. My DR said that happens every once in a while. Wish I could have keep it because it was great in many ways. Not having a period after 3 weeks of light spotting was nice. Not having to worry about BC was even better, but the cramps that I started having and the discomfort during sex was for the birds. I would say overall I would try it again because it was better than negative.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work