Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster Feeding

Default Cluster Feeding

My LO has been a cluster feeder in the evenings since birth- but this week (i'm back to work) she is out of control, demanding to nurse every 45 minutes, until I'm dry and sore. Nothing else pleases her between 7-11 at night. I know my supply is fine- and I haven't worried because she goes to sleep at 11, and stays asleep until 3:30- but now that I'm working, I can't have her on the boob for 4 hrs straight!

Any ideas why she's like this, or anything I can do to help her relax?
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08

Default Re: Cluster Feeding

I've heard some babies will do this as a means to get more quality time w/mom when adjusting to you being away from her. Not sure if ut's usually temp or if it continues for awhile- hopefully someone w/this experience will chime in. Lansinoh will help with the dry/soreness, or rub a little breastmilk on...good luck!
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

There may just be an adjustment period as you return to work. I would wait and see if she adjusts. Some babies do reverse cycle when after their moms return to work. Here is some information on that:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

She's trying to get more "mommy time". My LO did the same thing when I went back to work. It got a little easier as time went by (started napping in the evening and letting me get a break), but she still reverse cycles. We co-sleep so it's not a huge deal, plus I don't worry too much about how much I pump while at work since she usually only takes 6-9 ounces while I'm gone!

Good luck!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Thanks for the encouragement. . . already last night was a little better- and she slept 6.5 hrs!
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08