Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dwindling supply in only one breast?

Default Dwindling supply in only one breast?

For the last two nights, when I wake up for middle of night feeding (after 5-6 hours) my left breast is hard and large and my right breast is softer and smaller. My 6-week old daughter still gets milk from it, but I'm worried the supply might be dwindling there. What could cause that and how do I handle it? I switch the starting breast with each feeding, but she usually drinks well from both. Also, I pumped both sides right after the 9 p.m. feeding.

Default Re: Dwindling supply in only one breast?

I am not totally certain, but my first guess would be that she is draining one better than the other. Maybe she has a prference for the breast that seems more full more of the time because of its larger supply/the way she is held for that side of the feeding/etc...I would say as long as she is healthy and happy and gaining and pooping/wetting well, meeting milestones, then I wouldn't worry, unless you don't like the lopsided boob thing. In which case you can always start on the side that is less full feeling for a couple feedings for a couple days to up the supply, as babies generally empty the first breast better than the second. anyway, let us know whats up!

Default Re: Dwindling supply in only one breast?

i agree with the pp...she is probably draining one better than the other. the larger breast is probably the one she also favors...it's all supply and demand...the more she drinks, the more milk is produced. i'm the same way, but vice-versa...my right breast is a bit larger than the other (e.g., i can always pump more from my right breast than the left). offering my dd the left breast for several feedings in a row helped to somewhat even them out.