Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good tasting vitamins with iron?

Default good tasting vitamins with iron?

can anyone recommend some good tasting vitamins with iron for a 13 month old? can they have gummy vitamins already at this age? should liquid vitamins be used?

mainly i want to find him some that don't taste horrible... suggestions?

Default Re: good tasting vitamins with iron?

I don't think there are any - geared for this age that is.

Does s/he have low iron?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

as PP was asking, do you need to supplement iron for a special reason?

for what I know (but of course I'm no doctor) vitamins supplementation (chewing gummies or fluid) is NOT recommended before age 2 (better 3).

one supplementation that might be offered to younger children (again, I'm NO doctor!) is the Omega 3s fatty acids, if you can't manage to supply them with regular food (but it's not difficult at all, a little consistency with good fish - wild salmon, for instance - and all is there...).
    On this matter, I read that Dr. Sears has a line of products (link here) that claim to taste good. I have NO DIRECT EXPERIENCE, I just happened to notice the advertising on Dr. Sears webpage, and since I agree with his parenting / pediatric style I give him some credit also with these products, but again I HAVE NOT TRIED THEM nor I suggest you to give your LO any vitamin (or other substance) supplement, just trying to help with your question!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

LO was tested and had a low iron level so we need to supp iron

check the health food store.....

we used this liquid :

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...4771.htm#R4771

We've had the low iron issue, as well.

I think (just a hunch) it has something to do with little one being on prevacid (we've just weaned him off of this now he's just over a year old and so far, so good).

Our ped tried to get us to LOAD our lil one up on iron with the multivitamin liquid and iron drops. I didn't feel comfortable giving lil one this much iron (I've heard that iron can make them constipated and that it tastes gross).

So, instead...I got lil one centrum chewables (they have 90%), we only use half a pill. They say for ages 2+...but we are using them anyway...parental decision. Initially my lil one wasn't thrilled with them, so we disolved the half in water and gave it to him that way (what a mess), but hey, it got it in him. The other day, he saw me eating sugar candy (bad, I know), he was being relentless about wanting some (and while I'll eat it, I won't give it to him)...so I thought...hmm...i wonder if he'd eat his vitamin half as a treat...and sure enough, he did. I cut the half into four small pieces so I was less worried about choking.

I looked EVERYWHERE (online, stores, talked to folks) and could not find a chewable that had 100% iron. Have you had any luck?
    Last edited by @llli*wfhm2007; July 31st, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007

Was the level?

Do you have a diet in place with high iron foods to start with?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We use Poly-Vi-Sol w/ iron and although they taste bad and I was very hesitant to give them, DS takes them perfectly every morning now. He adjusted quickly and opens wide for the vitamin!

It's worth a shot to try the icky tasting ones first imo, your LO might surprise ya.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

level was 9.3. they said it should be at least 10.5 apparently 9.3 is "moderately anemic". he used to take prilosec, which we stopped about 1 month ago.

he eats mainly these:
    meat
    spinach & potatoes organic pureed baby food (from whole foods)
    oatmeal fortified with vitamins (65%) of his daily allowance.
    generic cheerios (with no wheat) - also have quite a bit of iron

he is a very picky eater and has not taken to solid foods well at all. he drinks lots of BM (expressed, i exclusively pump)

so what puzzles me is most of his favorite foods, the ones he eats the most are already good iron sources, as far as i know...
    Last edited by @llli*thecowgirl; July 31st, 2008 at 07:34 PM.

humm.... I wonder about the meds too... it would make sence that they might block iron absorbsion...

I gave my dd lots of steak when she was low. The other kids were so jealous.
    I would get them and do them under the broiler and then chop them in bite size peices and keep them in the fridge. She liked them cold so every snack I would give her a serving of meat.

Her iron level was 5 on a finger prick. and she is still alive and kicking!

try and combine vitiman c with the iron foods that helps.
    I might skip the oatmeal and try to get her to eat more meats and veggies.
    the oatmeal has added iron that isn't as well absorbed as the iron that's naturaly in foods.