Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I HAVE to have a Breast Pump?

Default Do I HAVE to have a Breast Pump?

Many of my friends who have children already or are due in a few months like me are insisting that I purchase a breast pump to make life "easier."

I will be a stay at home mom for quite some time (three or four years) and don't think I need to pump if I'm with Baby all the time.

My sister-in-law is also a stay at home mom and has never had the need to pump (her son is now one and still breastfeeding).

Do I really need one?

Default Re: Do I HAVE to have a Breast Pump?

nope! don't do it until you need it. says the lady with the $400 punp that just sits here looking pretty. and, you can always rent a hospital grade pump if you need one. fyi- most places won't let you return them, even if unopened.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I had one given to me and only used it a handful of times. My Mom nursed four kids and never had one, she used hand-expression and for some Moms that works just as well, if not better!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommytobe View Post
    Many of my friends who have children already or are due in a few months like me are insisting that I purchase a breast pump to make life "easier."

I will be a stay at home mom for quite some time (three or four years) and don't think I need to pump if I'm with Baby all the time.

My sister-in-law is also a stay at home mom and has never had the need to pump (her son is now one and still breastfeeding).

Do I really need one?
    No need for one at all. I haven't used my breastpump since I quit my job when my oldest was 4 mos. old. My youngest never had a bottle whatsoever.

I will say though, that I did have to send dh out to the store in the middle of the night for a manual breastpump after my oldest son was born because I had major engorgement issues. I hadn't ordered my electric breastpump yet, and couldn't hand express to ease the pressure so my baby could latch on. Super engorgement like that doesn't happen to everyone, but I do have to say that a manual breastpump was VERY worth it that night. I would've had an AWFUL night if Walmart hadn't been open 24 hours.

How do you hand-express?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    I had one given to me and only used it a handful of times. My Mom nursed four kids and never had one, she used hand-expression and for some Moms that works just as well, if not better!

Nope. I got through nursing my first child without one, for the most part. . . and I would have been better off without one. I caved to such pressure from friends and family about 24 hours after my first was born, bought one (handheld, so it wasn't a lot of money) and then pumped after feeding baby, and pumped myself right into oversupply and overactive letdown to "boost my supply," based on some bad advice I stopped pumping entirely fairly early on, many of the issues we were having with nursing vanished, and we nursed for 22 months.

I didn't pump at all for the first 4 months with my second and only started pumping when I picked up some extra hours at work and taking him along stopped working out. . . But if I hadn't picked up the hours, heck NO would I have been pumping!

IMHO, it makes life MORE difficult. You have to clean the pump after every use. You have to wash bottles and buy storage bags or bottles. You have to figure out if you have enough milk stored for whatever you've got planned to do, and if you don't, you have to work in extra pumpings. I found it just much easier to tote my kids along while nursing -- and in fact, I did that for the first 4 months with my second. He went to work with me until he stopped sleeping through me seeing appointments

If you find you really need one, you can rent one, or just buy an inexpensive hand pump, like the Advent Isis. Or hand express, which is free.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If I didn't work, I'd never touch a double electric pump!! I would, however, have a hand pump on hand just in case - they are relatively cheap and a good investment.

mommytobe, here's a link to a manual expression guide: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Also, here's a video showing the technique: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

I've hand expressed a number of time. My tip would be to look far into the distance while you express yourself! The milk can come out awfully slow when you're watching too closely. A watched boob never pours...

Just moved you over to pumping
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Agree with PPs. Not necessary at all if you are not planning on being separated from your baby for any signifigant length. I've only pumped a handful of times for DS (after EPing for DD) and I could have certainly gotten by with hand expressing. And if down the road you feel like you want a pump, you can always get one then.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?