Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help with solids and nursing

Default need help with solids and nursing

when do you start replacing solids with nursing sessions? my lo is almost 8 months old and i'm looking to wean around 1 year. so far i have not eliminated any nursing sessions (which I'd like to see stop sometime in the near future). he eats 2-3 meals a day and also still nurses at night 1-2 times. everytime we're eating, he wants some. i usually nurse then offer solids 1/2 hour to an hour later, but he seems like he'd eat solids just about any time he could get some. i'd feed him more than 2 or 3 times but i'm so worried about making sure i nurse first. he only nurses for about 4-5 minutes. sometimes i think he wants to get done with nursing just so he can have solids. obviously breast milk is the main source of food right now, but he seems hungry for solid food alot. he's about 22 pounds and extremely mobile.

any help/suggestions?

tia!

Default Re: need help with solids and nursing

I think this page could help you out a lot!
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

i've read that before. it didn't really help. i guess i'm looking for personal experience from people who have gradually weaned at 1 year.

In the interim of others replying - this resource might offer some information as well

WHats a typical day look like for you guys as far as nursing and solids go?

Also - a few things to consider is if the nursing went on longer than you intend/ed, which sessions would you not might keeping in? What sessions seem to be most important to baby? To you?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Im in your boat too. I hope some people give us some guidance. my lo is going on 8 months like yours. She nurses 6x from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed(this includes two bottles of ebm) and she gets a 2nd foods veggie and 2nd foods fruit at lunch and 2-3 tbs of rice cereal with 1/2 of a 2nd foods fruit at dinner. Oh and while im eating breakfast she gets to munch (or gum that is) some rice puffs. Im probably going to add a third meal soon. She also still nurses 2-3x (or more sometimes) at night. Ideally i would like to have her weaned by 12 months or so. While i have enjoyed the whole bf experience, its exhausting at the same time having to always worry about pumping etc. I guess i would not mind if she still night nursed but i would like to wean her off the day nursing by 12 months for sure. Any suggestions out there on how to start gradually weaning and when should I start?

I'm going to move this to the weaning board. I think because it's in solids you may not be getting the info your looking for.

I will be back later to give you some more info!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

With the link I posted about starting solids, it mentions that there are several things not to do unless you are actively weaning(but you want to do those things). Since you would like to wean around a year, give yourself a couple of months and start replacing nursing session with solids/formula. It's a good idea to take a look at the fat/calorie content of the food your serving to make sure it's high in those things when you replace nursing. There are A LOT of calories in breastmilk, so taking those away means you'll have to replace them with others. If your wanting to be done by a year, you might talk to your doctor about formula since breastmilk/formula should be babies main source of nutrition for the first year, then you can either go to whole milk or decide what's best with your dr.
    There's really no one way a pair will wean, usually moms will replace or drop sessions that seem less vital to baby, or ones that are hardest for you. Dropping them one at a time, over a couple of months or so will ensure that you don't end up with problems of sudden weaning yourself.
    Expect a change of emotions for yourself too, weaning will bring a big change in hormones.
    Take it easy, set a goal for yourself and see how it goes!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader