Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is it okay to Start Table Food?

Default When is it okay to Start Table Food?

My 10 month old daughter has always been finicky when it comes to eating.
    It took a couple of months after she was born to get her to latch on properly, and even then she would fall asleep after only 5-10 min. of bf. She now loves to nurse, but still only nurses about 10 min max about 5 times during the day and once during the night. I started trying baby food at 5 mo, and she hated it. She would lock her lips shut and wouldn't even consider trying to taste it. I would lay off for a couple of weeks and try again. Still refused. At about 8 mo, she started eating yogurt, bananas( jar food), and some flavors of jarred fruit. Will not eat veggies. I have tried every variety under the sun, several attempts at each one. Then one day I discovered that she loves my food-spaghetti, chicken and green beans to be exact. If i cut them into very small pieces and put them on her tray she has a blast. I was thrilled! She seemed so happy when she was able to eat the table food by herself. This is my problem---when I took her in for her 9 month check up, her pedi told me that I shouldn't be giving her table food yet. He said that the salt content was too high in most adult food, but more importantly that her esophagus is the size of her pinky finger and the choking risk was too high and that I should only be giving her pureed foods. She seemed to love it and I really want her to be eating more than just jarred fruit and yogurt every day. When is she old enough to start table foods???? I would love to see her eat more and gain weight ( she was 6lbs. 4ozs at birth and was only 15 1/2 lbs at 9 months- 5th percentile he said). I am still bf her exclusively, but would like to wean her by 12 months, so I am hoping to get more solids in her. I started giving her Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin drops ( pedi told me that I could go ahead and start offering her cows milk since I am trying to wean her slowly, and that the vitamins are necessary with the milk since she is not a year old yet...dosen't matter she won't take the milk or formula anyway). Will the drops help her gain weight or are they just for vitamin supplement? Anyone had these issues before? Please help!!!

Default Re: When is it okay to Start Table Food?

ugg doctors..
    IF she wants to eat table food so be it.
    As long as you introduce things slowly and watch for a reaction.
    I always started my kids on table foods at about 9-12 months depending on the kid.
    My 1st got the rice cereal and mashed up jars. We I had my second he was high needs and didn't want mashed up stuff. So he just had table foods.and self feed himself. I light bulb went off.. less work for me, and he was happy
    I would hold of on the cows milk untill 12 months its not good for them.
    They can have yogart and cheese at that age.
    dr sears has good books about child nutrition.
    here the link to his web site.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

theres lots of info on weaning on the lll web site.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan01p112.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rApr87p23.html

Every child is different of course but my dd eats table food and she is 9 months. She doesn't eat a lot, but when we eat, we'll put tiny pieces of soft food (or mash it) on her tray and she LOVES it.

LLL actually recomends starting with tablefoods and skipping jarred "baby" foods. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html Most 6 mo can handle certain table foods. Ds who is 15 mo started out eating some table foods (unmashed banana, cantelope) even before we ever gave him any cereal or babyfood (jarred or homemade). We did start solids earlier than is recomended due to his VERY high level of interest (he would scream if he saw us eating anything); with my next baby, I'll have a few more tricks up my sleeve, but live and learn. Anyway, he was picking up and eating plain cooked rice and rice crispies cereal at 5 mo and Cheerios at 6 mo. Those are all table foods imo.

I have never heard such nonsense about needing to wait on tablefoods.

My 9.5 mos old only eats table food, he refuses anything pureed (accept applesauce). He loves peas, green or yellow beans, carrots (well cooked), sweet potato or potato chunks, zucchini, spaghetti squash, avacado, banana, apples, pears, peaches (favourite), small pieces of chicken breast, some small lentils (starting slow in case of gas), and cheerios of course. All are small pieces and veggies are well cooked.

I absolutely will not give veggies from a can because of the salt, but frozen or fresh is fine for my little one.

He nurses at least every two hours, day and night.

Don't worry about it.

Deb

Thank you all so much for responding! I was just really confused about the pedi's warning. Its nice to hear that it has worked out with your babies eating table foods. I just needed some reassurance...I will just follow her cues and watch her carefully. I did check out the Dr. Sears site & it was very helpful!! Thanks a million! Does anyone have any insight as to wheather the vitamin drops are a waste of time or are they a good idea? I did decide to hold off a little longer on the cows milk. I was curious as to wheather she will benefit from the drops along with bf or if they are not needed. I have been giving them anyway, but they make her have a weird scent when she sweats or wets her diaper. Thanks for all your input!!!!

I wouldn't think the vitamin drops are necessary if you are still breastfeeding, unless you suspect he needs the extra iron. LLL's web site does state: "Commercial, iron-fortified cereals are often the first foods served to babies who are not breastfeeding because they need the extra iron, but breastfed babies are rarely anemic as the iron in human milk is well-utilized. If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple test can be done in the doctor's office." Also see this great resource regarding iron supplementation and if it's necessary:

Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?

And this one with links to whether baby needs a vitamin (general) and vitamin D:

Vitamins for Baby
    Which states: "Vitamin and mineral supplements are not necessary for the average healthy, full-term breastfed baby during the first year. Breastmilk is all that your baby needs for at least the first six months of life."

Regarding putting weight on your little one ... don't forget that breastmilk provides more fat and calories than any food you can provide your little one!

Kellymom.com states:

"Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most baby-safe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby. In addition, starting solids will quite possibly reduce the amount of milk that your baby is getting overall, rather than increase overall intake. One of the first recommendations for a baby who genuinely has slow weight gain is to decrease or eliminate solid foods and nurse more often.

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids."

Here is another great web site that I wanted to share with you regarding a baby led approach to introducing solids:

Baby Led Approach to Solid Food Introduction

This is what we are using with our daughter. She hated it the few times we tried to give her pureed foods ... she much prefers doing it all herself! And I think this is such a better way to encourage your children's learning about food and exploring the new tastes and textures.

Have fun and good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you Paint-the-Moon, for your link suggestions! I did check them out & they were very informative. I am going to quit the supplements & trust that the bf will give her all that she needs. I wish I would have posted this sooner--you all have been so helpful!! I could have stopped worrying a lot sooner!
    Thank you!