Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much?

Default How much?

I plan to go back to work early September and my daughter will be about 10 or so weeks old. I have no idea how much pumped breastmilk to send to daycare with her. I can try to feed her in the morning and after work (I'll drop her off between 7 and 5), but I want to make sure she has enough. How many ounces should I send each day? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How much?

Each baby is different it really depends on how much YOUR LO eats and how often. I started by sending 2 1/2 oz. for every 1 1/2 to 2 hours (+a little extra just in case). However, some babies drink 4-5 oz. every 3-4 hours. HTH.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

This is a really nice article that explains everything. Even has a calculator!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Make sure to work with your care provider, especially if they aren't used to breastfed infants. A lot of times well meaning care givers tend to overfeed in the beginning because they are learning babies cues.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I just went back to work this week- and- though she's at home with grandma, so far she has eaten the amount I pumped from one side the day before. (i.e. I double pump at work, get 2-3 oz each side, and she eats one of those bottles at each feeding). . .
    I suggest pumping for at least a week before you go back- then you will have an idea how much is taken at each feeding
    Married my sweetheart 5/13/06
    and babygail makes three 5/29/08
    7 lb 2 oz born at 36 1/7 weeks,
    2 mos: 11 lb 12 oz
    returned to work 7/29/08