Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorgement and sore nipples...

Default Engorgement and sore nipples...

I don't remember it being this hard the first time around. She's lazy and doesn't want to latch on deeply. My milk came in last night and I'm SOOO engorged.

I'm taking ibuprofen and I tried some reverse pressure. You know those ice packs they put in the "free diaper bags"?? Well...I'm sitting here on the couch with them right now stuffed in my bra Not quite the use the formula company had intended it for...but I think its a smarter choice

Also, my right nipple is scabbed and blistered. I've been using the lanolin and making sure that she it latched on really deeply. She hasn't had any bottles and we stopped giving her the pacifier (she didn't like it anyways). Any other suggestions? (She isn't tongue tied, BTW)

TIA LLLadies
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Engorgement and sore nipples...

i have a really hard time getting a good latch on my right breast, especially while engorged. i alway put a warm compress, like a gel pad or rice sock, against my breast for 10 minutes or so before a feeding and it really helps soften it enough to allow for a good latching. then afterwards i use a bag of frozen peas. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Are you getting her to open really, really wide when she latches on? Making sure her tongue is out? Her jaw is thrust?

RPS really worked for me, and time. It will get better. At least you know that!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The My Brest Friend pillow helped us SO much with latching.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I used RPS every time when I was engorged (which lasted about the first week) and it helped tremendously. I would use the "flower petal" method (where you gather all of your fingers on one hand in a circle) and hold it on my areola for about a full minute before latching her. I knew they were ready when watery liquid dripped from my nipple, my areola had a "caved in" appearance versus taught, and my nipples were sticking out further.

Also, don't be afraid to hold her head firmly when she's latching and nursing. After doing the RPS, I'd hold my breast in one hand and her head in the other, make sure I had my Boppy and at least one more pillow for support, and as soon as she opened wide I would pull her mouth as deeply onto my nipple/areola as I could and keep it that way during the feeding. I found cross cradle and football hold to be most effective positions during the nb stage.

As for the nipple damage (), when I had scabbing etc. with my older two (avoided it this time, thank God), I would rub a little breastmilk into the damaged nipple after every feeding, then let it air-dry for a few minutes before applying Lansinoh. I slept topless (with a towel under me!) and let my nipples breathe as much as possible.

HTH!!!
    Last edited by @llli*mollyb; July 31st, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: "my nipples" not "me nipples" and RPS not RVS lol

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Also, don't be afraid to hold her head firmly when she's latching and nursing. After doing the RVS, I'd hold my breast in one hand and her head in the other, make sure I had my Boppy and at least one more pillow for support, and as soon as she opened wide I would pull her mouth as deeply onto my nipple/areola as I could and keep it that way during the feeding. I found cross cradle and football hold to be most effective positions during the nb stage.
    The above mentioned pillow helped me a lot with this. I could not do it with my boppy.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post

As for the nipple damage (), when I had scabbing etc. with my older two (avoided it this time, thank God), I would rub a little breastmilk into the damaged nipple after every feeding, then let it air-dry for a few minutes before applying Lansinoh. I slept topless (with a towel under me!) and let me nipples breathe as much as possible.
    I did the same thing with the breastmilk. It worked much better than the lansinoh for me.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

It sounds as if you have gotten all the best advice already! I just wanted to send some newborn breastfeeding good vibes your way! Your baby girl is beautiful.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    It sounds as if you have gotten all the best advice already! I just wanted to send some newborn breastfeeding good vibes your way! Your baby girl is beautiful.
    Thanks so much. Today has been better. I did pump just a tiny bit with a hand pump to help relieve some of the pressure. I feel much better. I also used some ice packs in between feedings. Right now she isn't "demanding" to eat very often. I have been waking her every 3 hours to feed her. So because I know its coming...I can prepare ahead of time without having her screaming, fussing and rooting and I'm still trying to get my boobs ready!

She gave me a NICE 4.5 hr stretch last night. I probably should have set an alarm and fed her sooner...but I was too tired and fell asleep before setting it. I needed the sleep. She woke up and ate really really well.

We're gettin' there!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!