Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottles best for breastfeeding

Question Bottles best for breastfeeding

I need help! I have to go back to work and I plan to pump while at work. I was just wondering what the best bottles to transition back and forth between the breast and bottle. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Bottles best for breastfeeding

Most people say you want a wide based, silicone nipple with a slow flow. Some popular ones are Playtex Nursers (w/naturallatch nipples), Avent BPA Free, and BornFree.
    We've always had luck with the Playtex bottles/nipples. Every baby is different, though.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Avent BPA Free
    Curious, where did you find BPA free Avent? That was one reason we never used them, I didn't think they made BPA free.

Thanks!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Curious, where did you find BPA free Avent? That was one reason we never used them, I didn't think they made BPA free.

Thanks!
    I don't actually have them, but apparently they started making them after the recent BPA fiasco.
    I just saw them at Target last weekend.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Diana West, author and IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), has a new book coming out later this year. Her website has an excerpt about bottle nipples:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/nipples.shtml
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Diana West, author and IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), has a new book coming out later this year. Her website has an excerpt about bottle nipples:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/nipples.shtml
    I wonder why Avent nipple are listed as not meeting the criteria. They are almost identical to the Playtex naturallatch (which are on the "good" list ). Maybe they are a bit longer - that could be it. They did seem to choke my DD1 a bit when we used them on her for a brief time.

Molly

I think it also depends on your LO. We tried the brestflow bottles because they were recommended by my LC but my DD hated them. She would fuss and scream evertime. We also tried Advent and Dr.Browns and she hated those too. I was lucky enough to discover that first year also makes soothie bottles (walmart carries them) and since at that time she was using a soothie pacifier, we thought it would work and it did. She still loves her soothie bottles even though she now hates her pacifier. We've been giving her 1 bottle a night since she was about 3 wks old and we've never had nipple confusion issues.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

We used the Playtex Drop-In system with latex nipples and that worked fine until I had to stop b/f due to other reasons.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I use Playtex drop ins. since i dont use bottles that often it doesnt get too expensive, and i dont have to wash out bottles!

the walmart brand liners work great and are much cheaper
    I'm Jamie, and im Proud to be:
    Carter's SAHM since 11-27-07 and now to Eli too, since 7-25-11
    Cody's Wife since 8-28-08

and and

my healthy boys don't get vaccines