Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should I push nursing on LO

Default should I push nursing on LO

Lily is nursing about 4xday (max) and 3x at night. She really depends on the night nursing but she could care less about the day nursing. I try like heck to offer her my milk before she eats at the table with the boys. And don't you know... she holds out for the food. I think that she likes to pick up her food. I also give her a cup when she eats at the table. Is this the first step in her slowly weaning? I'm ok with it, it seams natural for us. Should I push nursing more during the day or let her made the decision of when she wants to nurse? And if I don't nurse as often during the day will my night supply decrease?

Ohh by the way today we had our dr apt today and she's 17.3 lbs at 9 months
    Last edited by @llli*lilybug; July 30th, 2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: sp
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Default Re: should I push nursing on LO

Offering to nurse is not pushing it on your LO. It is reminding her that it is available if she wants it, especially at that age when they are easily distracted.

I would frequently offer at that age. She will decide if she wants to nurse or not. I know you are supposed to offer to nurse prior to solids when lo is younger than a year, but maybe you could offer after solids if she is holding out for solids. Or offer an hour or so before the meal is ready.

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

My DD self weaned at around nine months. She was sleeping thru the night and just preferred holding out for solids. She nursed less and less frequently, until one day, she was just done. I eventually offered her a bottle of formula and she had that until she was about a year and switched to cows milk. It felt totally natural to me, and she was my first, so I didn't really question it. I had already nursed longer than most of my family had, so I felt good about it. My DS is two years old, and I'm beginning to think I'll be attending kindergarten along with him - he shows no interest in weaning.

My advice, FWIW, is to do what feels right for you and for your daughter. It made virtually no difference in my relationship with my DD, and my son is just as close, but still loves his "oobies."
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessieandsamsmom.melissa View Post
    My advice, FWIW, is to do what feels right for you and for your daughter.
    that you need to do what is best for you and your daughter. I thought I would put this link out here http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html

It is actually extremely rare for a baby to self-wean prior to 12 months.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

If you wean before she is 1 you'll have to give formula which is sure a lot more expensive than nursing!! I would keep offering- if she doesn't nurse, she doesn't nurse. She may just be going through a distractable stage right now. I'd also offer to nurse after solids meals. My daughter always nursed after meals, but I didn't usually give her a drink with her meal until she was older so I think she wanted to nurse to wash it down.

BUT if you decide not to nurse during the day your night time supply should remain the same as long as she continues to nurse at night. She might actually start to nurse more at night if she nurses less during the day- that's what my daughter did when I went back to work.

hth
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous