Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 mo old making it very hard to build supply

Angry 6 mo old making it very hard to build supply

My 6 month old daughter is very active when I'm trying to breastfeed. I had a big scare a couple weeks ago when my supply was so low, she barely had 1 wet diaper a day. I took Fenugreek and my supply boosted up and all was ok. So, I stopped fenugreek (or should I say I finished the bottle) and my supply diminished. I am now taking it again and haven't really noticed an increase in supply like last time, PLUS - my daughter never wants to nurse. She pushes her legs into the chair and launches herself right off of me sometimes, or she just is SO DISTRACTED or just doesn't want any.
    I can't pump because when i do - NOTHING comes out (even after 15 mins of double pumping). besides- if something did, I wouldn't be able to give her the expressed milk in a bottle since she refuses bottles!!
    I started solids at 5 months, and she won't even eat that anymore. I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid that my supply will really be gone, and my baby will starve! She is napping right now and well - we're going on 5 hours since last feeding. She used to nurse every 2-3 hours. Now - I am lucky if she wants it every 4 hours or more.

what to do?

Default Re: 6 mo old making it very hard to build supply

is she teething? sick?

you mentioned that she was distracted, have you tried nursing in a dark room with no noise? does she nurse at night for you?

how is her output now? 4-5 diapers a day? If not definitely see a LC and/or your doctor. #1 rule is feed the baby.

Default Re: 6 mo old making it very hard to build supply

Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09