Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what are "mother's rooms" like?

Default what are "mother's rooms" like?

i have yet to even see the inside of the "mother's room" at work and have never been in one anywhere else. i'm assuming they are just rooms with some chairs... or is there usually anything else?

Default Re: what are "mother's rooms" like?

Probably changing table stations too ... nothing too glamorous.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

There is one where I work. It is an office with a mini fridge, chairs, desks, and electrical outlets. There are also parenting magazines. There are 2-3 lactating moms using it. It's nice since I can keep my pump in the room instead of having to keep bringing it back to my desk. I also keep the sheilds and other parts in the fridge so I don't have to wash them (saves time).

Does your workplace have a mother's room?

It really varies.
    As the PP's have said, it can be anything from a room with a few chairs and an electrical outlet and possibly a baby-changing area to something with a fridge, a sink, curtained 'cubicles' for several people to pump in privacy, tables, magazines, a mirror and some hooks to hang clothing, even a (locked to the wall) hospital-grade pump that each woman can use with her own pump parts. I've worked pretty hard to get a fully-outfitted one of these rooms in the building I'm in for all the lactating moms....
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by jsmom
    It really varies.
    As the PP's have said, it can be anything from a room with a few chairs and an electrical outlet and possibly a baby-changing area to something with a fridge, a sink, curtained 'cubicles' for several people to pump in privacy, tables, magazines, a mirror and some hooks to hang clothing, even a (locked to the wall) hospital-grade pump that each woman can use with her own pump parts. I've worked pretty hard to get a fully-outfitted one of these rooms in the building I'm in for all the lactating moms....
    -Linda
    Wow ... lucky moms! Where I worked (a design studio/printer's) mom's were lucky to get the yucky bathroom to themselves for a few minutes to pump (where they would have to sit on the toilet if they needed a seat).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

At my company, our lactation room is our first aid room. It has a chair, a "bed", and a bathroom. It works out really good except I always have to go find a security guard to let me in.

The rooms at my employer are like the ones someone else mentioned. There's a lactation room inside one of the womens' restrooms on each floor. We have to use our security badge to get the door to unlock. There is also a sliding "in use / vacant" sign outside the door. The room is probably 10' x 8', is dimly lit, has a comfy chair, table, sink, fridge, and a countertop with a cabinet beneath.

When I go to pump, because its so private, I sit on the carpeted floor and lean back against the wall and close my eyes. Relaxing makes the milk flow better. I am very thankful for these accommodations because its helping to make my breastfeeding continue while working full time.

Good luck to you!
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

i work for a fairly large company...we have about 7 buildings dispersed in the downtown area...and unfortunately, not all of them have mothers rooms. the first mothers room i used was a dual-use room: mothers room and private phone use room...so it had a phone, a desk, and a chair, and of course an electrical outlet. it locked from the inside and had a "vacant"/"occupied" sign that changed when you locked and unlocked the door. the mothers room that i'm currently using has a sofa, a chair, and a table with some parenting magazines. i'm trying to get a mothers room created in the bldg i'm in so that i don't have to walk across the street 3 times a day. the room that i'm hoping will be turned into a mothers room is a separate room in the women's restroom one floor below me. it locks from the inside and has an electrical outlet...i'm looking to have a table and comfy chair added to the room as it's empty right now....definitely nothing glamorous, but it works.

If you're trying to implement or improve the lactation facilities at your workplace, here is a link with some great information for employers (including how it will improve their bottom line!):
    http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/health/Nut...iendlycomm.htm
    I live in Wisconsin and have just started to become involved with the WI Breastfeeding Coalition.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    lucky to get the yucky bathroom to themselves for a few minutes to pump (where they would have to sit on the toilet if they needed a seat).
    FYI a number of states have regulations against this. In California, as well as the military, there has to be a space provided with privacy, a place to sit, an outlet, a place to store it, and a place to clean the equipement. I talk to moms who give it up cause their bosses dont want to give them time or space. This doesnt have to be great, ie the first aid room, but California expressly says not the bathroom.
    We have a 'lactation' room. Has chairs, shelves, magazines, pumps, minifridge, and a sink. There are also 30ish lactating moms in the building.