Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me help my cousin

Default Help me help my cousin

My cousin just had a baby on the 21st. She is having trouble since they left the hospital. DS is over a year old now, so I don't remember much that could be helpful to her. I keep checking on her and she says she needs help. She will probably call me later and ask me to come over and help her. What are some important things to keep in mind. Technique, positions, what worked for you? Also, her babe might need hin frenulum(is that right?) clipped, it is a little tight. I think she is trying to use a paci, will that cause problems?

Default Re: Help me help my cousin

THe paci can cause problems.
    What are her issues?
    Can you have her call a leader before you get there???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Dr. Newman's site has really good video clips to help you see a good latch.

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

OK, I have a little more info now. Her milk came in and she is engorged. She is pumping some. Her babe will suck, suck, suck, pause, suck, suck, suck, pull away and act like he doesn't want to be there. I suspect OALD. I told her to try different positions, side lying with a pillow under him to get him to the right level, especially. I think I remember that one being very helpful for OALD. I know she is worried and frustrated BC she FF her first. She already gave him the formula that they gave her in her BF kit at the hospital (at the hospital, not her) I know that hossy isn't very BF friendly, or helpful... I'm glad she has me, and I have you ladies

Here are some good resources (if you haven't seen them already!)

On Engorgement

Reverse Pressure Softening

OALD/OS

Listen to her and acknowledge her frustration, let her know that while breastfeeding is natural but it is a learned art!! FF may be easier at first, but after you get the hang of breastfeeding it is by far the easier of the two.

Encourage her to nurse nurse nurse. She may be used to a baby who only feeds once every 3 hours or so. Assure her that she cannot nurse too much! The baby breastfeeds, not the mother. So therefore he will tell her what he needs (supply wise) in time.

Here is also some great info on the early weeks of breastfeeding. Maybe you could print them out for her to read. All this info that your giving her will likely be swirling around in her head!

The Early Weeks

Nursing your Newborn, what to expect in the early weeks
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

So, should I tell her to stop pumping all together? I want to, but I worry about plugged ducts because she has been pumping like 2 oz at a time She said she has lumps. I suggested block feeding, was that wrong? I also said that when his cord stump falls off to try nursing in a warm bath.
    It is true that I cannot stress feeding often enough, right? Just keep trying to nurse and forget all bottles and pacis? It is obvious that she has the milk.

Oh is she pumping in addition to nursing? If she's pumping to relieve engorgement ONLY pump JUST enough to get the edge off. Not a whole bottle, that will only make things worse. Often moms find that hand expressing in a hot shower will get the job done well.
    Since her baby is so little, just nurse nurse nurse. She cannot nurse too much. I wouldn't worry with the block feeding yet because it's so early, her supply is still getting established and she's probably caused a bit of oversupply if she's pumping all the time. SO if she cuts down on that she may resolve her problem that way.

Yep you cannot nurse too much, you can however nurse too little. Forget the bottles, paci's, pumping and just park yourself somewhere and nurse!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Forget the bottles, paci's, pumping and just park yourself somewhere and nurse!
    I called her back and basically told her this. She thinks/thought() that he wasn't getting anything at all, but she also told me that she noticed he had milk in his mouth when he pulled off once. I told her that that means he is getting something and that if she tries to nurse often, she knows that he is getting food in his belly and that she will be more comfortable too.
    Another important thing I mentioned is that it wont last forever, that he wont always want to nurse every 5 minutes. I want her to succeed, but I don't want to be too involved, kwim?
    ETA: She wants me to go see her tomorrow

UPDATE: I just talked to her this morning. Everything is going well! He is satisfied and she is more confident in her ability to provide him milk.

That's great!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader