Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decreasing Domperidone?'s

Default Decreasing Domperidone?'s

I am not there yet(i get there) but when i get to the amount i want, when do i decrease the dom? Do I drop 10mg each time i take it?

I take 40mg 3xs a day so the would i take 30mg 3xs a day or 40mg 2xs and then 30mg 1x?
    I have been reading on it but im not understanding it i guess?

Also, how many moms decreased milk production while decreasing the dom?

Should i add more pump sessions to be sure i am keeping my levels up?

Like i said im not there yet but hopefully in a week or two i will be.

What would happen if you just stopped taking dom all together?

Thanks in Advance!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Decreasing Domperidone?'s

Hey mama, from reading the info on Dr. Newman's website, here is my understanding of how to wean off the Dom. If you are taking 4 pills, 3 times per day, you would start by removing 1 pill from just 1 of your doses. That is, you would take 4 pills, 2 times per day, and 3 pills, 1 time per day. You continue that way for a week, and if you don't notice any decrease in your supply, then you remove another pill from a different dose. So, it would look like this:

Week 1:
    1st dose each day: 4 pills (40mg)
    2nd dose each day: 3 pills (30mg)
    3rd dose each day: 4 pills (40mg)

IF you don't notice a decrease in your supply, then you do this:
    Week 2:
    1st dose each day: 4 pills (40mg)
    3rd dose each day: 3 pills (30mg)

Again, IF you don't notice a decrease in your supply, then you do this:
    Week 3:
    1st dose each day: 3 pills (30mg)
    3rd dose each day: 3 pills (30mg)

Basically, you continue removing 1 pill each week from your daily doses, until you either totally wean yourself from the dom and your supply remains the same, or you end up reaching a point where you are still taking a small dose but your supply would diminish if you decreased it any further. I hope this makes sense?!?

I have not tried this method, but this is my understanding from reading the info on Dr. Newman's website. If you need further clarification, I would recommend talking to your doctor or emailing Dr. Newman. I have heard he is very prompt with replying to email.

Good luck, mama!
    HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I contacted Diana West, IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) and author. Here is her reply:

"With most women, domperidone cannot be decreased without decreasing milk production; it must be taken for as long as they want that level of milk production. Pumping more does not usually compensate. If she stops taking domperidone altogether, she is likely to experience a signficant headache and her milk production will dramatically decrease."
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I weaned down from taking 120 mg/day to not taking it at all without losing any milk. I did it slowly like the post from Jack Newman. Don't be in any hurry, though. It isn't a race.

Here is what I understand: Our bodies at birth have a very high prolactin blood level. But after about 8 weeks or so that prolactin level goes down and the autocrin system regulates milk making on a demand/supply basis.

Well, the domperidone helps us increase our prolactin levels by suppressing dopamine. However the prolactin levels do not reach anywhere near as high as they do after a birth (which is fine. They don't need to). But once our bodies are in lactation mode, they are in lactation mode. We stay on the demand/supply cycle (unless there are hormone imbalances such as PCOS).

The key is to back down off the medicine very gradually. I took the domperidone for three and a half months before I reached my milk goals. Then I gradually backed off of it. I am glad that I did. I gained 12 pounds taking the dom. I lost all of the weight in the next month and was down to my prepregnancy weight with no other changes except coming off the dom.

Don't be afraid to wean off of it slowly. You can always increase the dose if you are seeing a diminished supply.

P.S. I was pumping when I weaned off so I KNOW that I didn't loose a drop.

I have a few questions.

I dont know what my problem is i was pumping 4-5 times a day and taking 40mg 3x day well i went to pumping 3-4 times a day and was getting the same.

I decided to decrease the dom and was taking 40mg in the morning 30mg in afternoon and 40mg in pm well I have decreased on my milk production i was at about 28-29oz and today i only got 22-23oz

1. Can taking one 10mg pill away cause this much drop in supply?

2. Should i go back up to 40mg 3x a day?

3. Should i pump back to 4-5 times a day?

4. Should i do #2 & #3

5. Could it be a possible pregnancy since dom dosent work in pregnanc(for
    a 6-7oz drop in week with only taking 10mg away?)

What should i do?
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Is today the first day of a decrease in your pumping output? It could just be a fluke, or it could be related to the reduction of the domperidone, or could you be pregnant?

LLL Leaders cannot offer advice on medications and dosages. We don't have the training to do it. All I can do is ask questions and offer information.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I started decreasing on Aug 13th and did ok for 3-4 days then i started noticing the reduction on the past few days. the past 3 days i guess it has been reducing by like 2oz a day.

I only dropped 1 pill and am not understanding if this is "normal".
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Hey mama So sorry to hear about your drop in supply! You might consider emailing Dr. Newman in Canada to ask him your questions... based on what I've read on his website, he has a lot more experience prescribing Dom to mamas, so maybe he could help you??

Sorry I can't offer any better advice than that, but I can give you some I am in the same boat as you cause I'm still taking the Dom, but have not started weaning from it yet... although recently I have noticed a drop in supply, WITHOUT decreasing my dose of Dom. I think it's because AF is getting ready to visit My drop in supply seriously happened overnight... one night I nursed my DD, put her to bed, pumped AFTER nursing and got like 5 ounces, I was like WOO HOO! The very next morning, POOF, my supply had dropped WAY down, almost to what it was before I started taking Dom.

Let us know if you email Dr. Newman and what he says.

Good luck mama
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I just sent him an email so hopefully i will hear back soon!
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz