Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to stop?

Default How long to stop?

I was told today that I need to stop pumping one side for a month in order to have a rather large, sometimes painful lump removed.

I am an exclusive pumper and am currently at 3x a day. I was thinking of dropping the one side to 2x this week, then 1x the week after, and then stopping after that. That would mean that I wouldn't pump it for about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks before the surgery...

The question is, how long does it take for you to stop producing milk in a breast that is not being expressed?

Default Re: How long to stop?

Is the lump a clogged duct or something else?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Is the lump a clogged duct or something else?
    That and are they giving a reason why it needs to be removed now and why you have to stop pumping?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It's a benign lump, not a clog. I've had it for a year now, and it causes me pain and discomfort. While they say it's a very slim chance it's cancerous, I've had family members (slightly removed) who had breast cancer and it concerns me. I think it's gotten larger.

They say it won't go away on its own (like I was told before) and that I will still be able to nurse afterwards so long as I wait a few months to let it heal. I'd like to get it done so that if we decide to have another, we don't have to wait a few months to try after we've decided (my husband's on the fence about this, so if he ever decides to have another, I don't want us to have to wait a few months).

As for why I have to stop pumping that side; no one likes to do surgery on a lactating woman's breast because the milk will go into the excision and will keep seeping, hindering the healing process, etc. I know I've heard of some women having this done without stopping nursing, but I've talked to a few different docs on this, and they all say the same thing -- no removal without stopping. At least this one says I only need to stop on that side.

Also, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be where I am, and that means I don't know how much longer I'll have insurance before I have to wait through another insurance qualification period. While I appreciate the questions, they don't answer the one that I need answers to.
    Last edited by @llli*krystal; July 30th, 2008 at 04:26 AM.

http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...pression.shtml

The answer to your question in particular can be found in the paragraphs that follow the eight tips to aid lactation suppression. HTH!
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)