Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning pump parts- how often?

Default cleaning pump parts- how often?

i have kind of a silly question... do i need to clean my pump parts each time after i pump? that's what i have been doing but i just read on another thread that i can put the parts in the fridge in between pumpings and just reuse them and clean/sanitize them at the end of the day.

Default Re: cleaning pump parts- how often?

Guilty of not cleaning pump parts after each pumping session. At night especially, because that is when I do the most of my pumping. I pump at 7:00pm, after ds eats and goes to sleep, again at 8:30-9:00 and then one more time before going to bed, 11 pm. I do not wash in between these sessions and do not keep in fridge either. I put it all up away in my pump bag (which I usually wipe down each day after pumping with the medela wipes). During the day I will use the wipes or rinse with soap and hot water. Each night before going to bed, I will microsteam the parts.

Now, I usually clean all my parts between pumpings, although there have been times I haven't. Sometimes I wipe down with the medela wipes if I have them.

Then at night I put anything that can go through the dishwasher in so it gets a hot wash.

Back when I was doing a night time pumping I didn't bother. I was too interested in getting back to sleep.

Yikes, I don't clean them either, but I don't admit that often . I read some place that breastmilk could be kept at room temperature directly after pumping for up to 10 hours and I figure if that holds true the pump parts are probably good for that long too. I almost never wash in between pumping session while at work, although not that it is hot out I will rinse in between the afternoon sessions. Dd has never seemed to be affected by it. However, the other day I noticed an odor when I was making bottles in one of my bottles of pumped milk. I just threw it out, which totally goes against my philosophy (it like the most precious thing on this earth next to dh and dd right now). My theory is if it smells ok it probably is ok.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

medela recommends disassembling and washing all parts that come in contact with the breast and milk in war, soapy water.

...so i guess i'm the anal one...i either wipe the breastshields/connectors/membranes with the medela wipes or i pop them in the microsteam bags between each pumping session. i don't clean the tubing as milk has never come in contact with them.

I soak in water after each session and rinse or use the quick steam bags-then run them thru the dishwasher when I get home

In between pumpings at work, I just rinse under warm/hot water and let dry. Then each night, I wash them in hot, soapy water, using the bottle brush. Once a week, I put the parts through the bottle sterilizer.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

If my next pumping session is within a hour ... I don't

If my pumping session for the day will be about 2 hrs apart - I rinse w/ hot water

If my pumping sessions for the day are far enough apart that the milk kinda dries up on it ... I use soapy water

At the end of the day before I leave work I always wash w/ soap so it's ready to go for my first pumping session in the AM ....

I confess, I rarely ever washed the pump parts in between sessions when I pumped at work. I have always gone with the theory that you can leave breastmilk sitting out for up to 8 hours... leaving out pump parts for a little more than half that time shouldn't be a problem. I would, however, take the pump parts home every night and wash them thoroughly with soap and really hot water.