Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 mo will not take bottle and have to go back to work! :(

Unhappy 3 mo will not take bottle and have to go back to work! :(

My 3 month old used to take a bottle (I would pump and have DH give him one once a day) up until he was about 6 weeks and then all of a sudden he refused. He'll chew on it and push the nipple out with his tounge and then once some bm gets in his mouth he'll spit it out. i've tried 3 different bottles, warming the nipple, holding him in the same position...no luck. Anyone have any tips? And if he doesn't want it how long do I wait to BF him? How long should I let him cry? Can I try a sippy cup or is he too young? I have to go back to work in a month and am afraid that he won't take a bottle by then? Thanks, I know this was a lot of questions!

Default Re: 3 mo will not take bottle and have to go back to work! :(

Have you tried having someone else give the bottle? He might just be playing with the bottle because he's holding out for the real thing. It might help even to leave the house altogether when the bottle's being given.

I hesitate to post my similar experience with DD2, but I will. I kept DD2 with me for 4.5 months - we tried some bottles at night with DH, my parents, etc., but she refused them. When she started dcp, it was so tough. She still refused the bottle - I'd go and nurse at lunch time. It took several days, but she finally gave in and started taking the bottle. Within a couple of weeks, she was a pro with the bottle. It was SO HARD, I'm not going to lie - I worried constantly - it, in fact, is the reason I joined this forum the first time over a year ago! If you can, try to arrange to go by your dcp at least once to nurse. Keep in touch with them. If anyone can get a baby to take a bottle, a good teacher at dcp can. HTH and I'm sorry - I know what you're dealing with

have you smelled or tasted the milk your giving her?

Hav you tried someone else giving the bottle with you not around, in eye or ear shot? Why take a bottle when the real thing is right there? That's a problem we had but once I was gone, no problems! Good Luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Ditto on pp- trying to see if it works when you're not in the picture. Also, it can't hurt to try the sippy cup...
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I'm having the same problem with my 2 mo daughter. She won't take the bottle from me or my husband. She cries so much it makes us cry. I don't know what to do, I have to return to work in 5 weeks.

yeah, it doesnt matter who tries. i was out of the house and he still didnt want it. unfortunately i think the daycare person may have their hands full!

I had this problem with my son when he was four months old and started daycare. The very first day I showed up at lunch and was shocked to hear that he had taken a bottle just fine. They said that the trick was to hold him in a completly different way than he would be held if he was nursing. They also held him with his favorite blanket. (a few weeks before daycare started and I went back to work I started holding a blanket with us when he was nursing EVERY time. He now loves the blanket and it helps when I am away). The position that worked best for him was to be held by a daycare provider who was sitting down with him facing out on thier lap sitting upright. Now he will take a bottle from anyone and in any position as long as I am not there. Good luck! I know that it is scary!

Any luck yet? My 10 week old won't take a bottle. Ironic since he only took expressed milk out of a bottle for the first 4 weeks. I thought he'd have no problem so I only gave him a few here and there since then and now he refuses. I have to go back to work in less than TWO WEEKS! What worked for you???