Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastmilk for older children

Default breastmilk for older children

I have three children aged 4.5, 2.5 and 4 months. I weaned my first at 3 weeks and my second at 3 months. At that time I knew very little about benefits of extended breastfeeding. I was breastfed as an infant but growing up I saw so many babies with bottles that I guess i thought bottle feeding was somehow better. I am having such a wonderful experience breastfeeding my third child I hope to continue until he weans himself. My question is would it be weird to offer my older children breastmilk on their cereal or in a cup? They cuddle with me when I breastfeed the baby but I've been thinking about how weird it is to give cows milk to children, when their own mother has a plentiful supply of milk. Just wanting to do more for the two who missed out cuz of my ignorance.

Default Re: breastmilk for older children

I have given my 3 year old BM in a cup when she was sick, so I would say no it is not crazy. It doesn't taste much like cow's milk so the older one may not take to it.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

If they will take it, why not? It certainly couldn't hurt them.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My 4yo (weaned at 1) won't drink breastmilk. She doesn't like the taste. But it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I say why not!
    They give pedisure to children, is just like formula, formula a sub for bm.
    Well then if they will drink it, i would give it to them!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

My 2 1/2 yr. old LOVES her cup of BM, but she did nurse for 16.5 months....not weird at all.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

When my ds was 2 months old I started manually expressing about 1/2 to 2 oz per day-depending on if I had time to do so or not- and then giving it to my 2 year old dd the next morning mixed with her regular milk. She gets either milk with olvatine or milk mixed with pediasure in the mornings because she'snot a good eater. But anyway, she gets about 6-14 oz of BM per week. The week after I started giving it to her my husband and I got the flu and it was the worst flu we had ever had. All she and ds got were runny noses!!!
    So I say go for it! Even if you have to disguise it. (I have to-she won't drink it straight)
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg