Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Months and trying again

Default 4 Months and trying again

Hi!

My little boy is 4 months old now. I started off bfing when he was born and had so much pain with the cracked nipples I almost had a mental breakdown and slowly started pumping and switched to formula.

I've had a lot of guilt ever since and have decided I want to give it a try again.

I'm beginning to give him my breast for comfort. He's not all that interested though, he likes his soother and bottle for food. I'm also pumping every 3 hours, using the Medela Swing that I purchased when I originally had issues.

Do I need to pump at night if he sleeps through the night?

Does anyone have any tips for getting him used to latching on again?

I feel very overwhelmed but hopeful. I know I'm going to need a lot of support.

Default Re: 4 Months and trying again

Hugs to you. You've come to the right place for information and encouragement.

To rebuild your supply, you will probably find that a hospital grade rental pump would work most effectively. Contact a local LLL Leader or lactation consultant about renting a pump.

The lowmilksupply.org website has lots of good info: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/index.shtml

Keep asking questions!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

You and I are kinda in the same situation. My son is 4 months old too and I'm still trying to get him back to the breast. The pumping is going ok I'm still not getting as much as I would hope for but I keep trying. I think its just best if he nurses from me to get my supply up as high as possible. I finally ordered the tube for the sns system so hopefully he will nurse from me but receive the formula until my milk kicks in. I'm hoping the tube is here in the next couple of days! Mabye an SNS system would work well for you as well. I don't know if its the breast itself that they don't want or the fact that there is barely any milk flow. So its more of like why do it if there is no reward. Idunno, just thought I would chime in!

Since your baby is 4 months old it will generally be easier to relactate. It will also be easier if your milk supply was well established during the first 4-6 weeks postpartum, but it didnt have to be some moms with older babies who did not establish a good milk supply in the beginning and adoptive moms who have never breastfed can also get good results.

If baby will not latch, just keep working at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jacalyn.shealey View Post
    Mabye an SNS system would work well for you as well. I don't know if its the breast itself that they don't want or the fact that there is barely any milk flow. So its more of like why do it if there is no reward.

Some babies have gone back to the breast after many months of bottle feeding. Even if you are not able to persuade baby to latch, you can re-establishing your milk supply by pumping and giving baby your milk in a bottle.
    If your baby is not nursing well (or not yet latching at all), pumping will make a big difference in increasing your milk supply, seriously consider renting a hospital-grade pump that will allow you to pump both breasts at the same time.Even if baby appears to be nursing well, additional pumping will speed up the relactation process 8-10 times per day until supply is well established, it is important to get at least eight good nursing and or pumping sessions per 24hours. Ten sessions per day is better
    Some of us mommas use herbal supplements, such as fenugreek or blessed thistle to stimulate milk production or even medications such as Domperidone and Relgan.

I hope this helps
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Talking Re: 4 Months and trying again

I'm not sure I can afford to rent a double pump. I'll have to look into it.
    I'm also going to look into a SNS to rent/buy and see if Will is interested.

So far, I've gotten 6 sessions in a day. I guess that's not going to cut it, eh? I'll have to pump every two hours to get up to eight! The things we do in the name of love....

I just bought some blessed thistle and fenugreek capsules today. I'm not sure how much I should take. From what I gather, I can start out taking 1 or 2 fenugreek 3 times a day, and go up from there until I wreak like maple syrup.
    I have no idea how much blessed thistle to take. ????

It might not be much, but I am getting little clear droplets when I pump. I find that very encouraging!!!!

Thanks Ladies!
    Last edited by @llli*willy-bumsmama; July 31st, 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spell check!

I have to add that it's so encouraging here. I can't tell you enough how much I need the encouragement and other people in my life, namely my MIL aren't so positive.

Thank you all for your help and positive thinking!

I'm not sure I can afford to rent a double pump. I'll have to look into it.
    Many WIC Offices have some breast pump that they loan out usually for free, mine did. THey ususally only like to give pumps to moms who are returning to work, or are having low supply issues. You should contact them and talk with them.

So far, I've gotten 6 sessions in a day. I guess that's not going to cut it, eh? I'll have to pump every two hours to get up to eight! The things we do in the name of love....
    I hear ya, i think thats all i ended up with was 6 sessions a day sometimes i could squeeze in a 7 but, i have 3 children to take care of also so it was kinda hard. Some say to pump at least 1 time at night but i didnt, i need my sleep
    I just bought some blessed thistle and fenugreek capsules today. I'm not sure how much I should take From what I gather, I can start out taking 1 or 2 fenugreek 3 times a day, and go up from there until I wreak like maple syrup

I have no idea how much blessed thistle to take. ????
    You can take up to 3 of both the fenugreek and blessed thistle

It might not be much, but I am getting little clear droplets when I pump. I find that very encouraging!!!!
    Thats a great sign momma!! Keep up the great work!!
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2gavin-keean-alexis View Post
    Many WIC Offices have some breast pump that they loan out usually for free, mine did. THey ususally only like to give pumps to moms who are returning to work, or are having low supply issues. You should contact them and talk with them.
    Unfortunately I'm from Canada, so there is no WIC.

Im sorry
    Maybe they are not that expensive? I called to our local shop not too long ago and they rent for about 40.00 a month. If you think about it thats only 2-2.5 cans of formula for the price.
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2gavin-keean-alexis View Post
    Im sorry
    Maybe they are not that expensive? I called to our local shop not too long ago and they rent for about 40.00 a month. If you think about it thats only 2-2.5 cans of formula for the price.
    I like the way you think!

I don't know why I didn't ponder that one... I'm feeling really s-m-r-t smart right now...

You know, I had no idea how many women were in this situation until I stumbled upon the concept of relactation myself. I visit another board (babygaga, don't know if you've heard of it?) and in the past two days have seen multiple women ask the same questions I have. I feel like there needs to be more awareness about this, since it seems like so many women have different reasons why they aren't/stopped bfing and wish they could do it again.