Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Hooter Hider"

Talking "Hooter Hider"

Does anyone have a hooter hider? I would like to know if you think it was a good investment or more of a pain. I'm really modest and feel it might help me feel more comfortable nursing when I am not at home or when I have company over for a visit. I don't care if people take note of the hooter hider, I just don't want people seeing my breast or nipple when I am trying to nurse my son. I found a pattern online to make one! I may have my grandmother make it for me or would consider buying the original if it has good reviews with other nursing mothers. Where did you get your hooter hider, what did you pay for it, etc? Thanks!

Default Re: "Hooter Hider"

I have one and I love it!! I also use it as a sort of shade tent. And I use it when I'm rocking ds2 to sleep in public so he can't get distracted

I paid 10 dollars plus shipping for mine and now I'm using that one as a pattern to make more!

ETA - pattern should be fine - come to think of it, mine might be a knock off . . . I got it on ebay listed under "hooter hider" but in my invoice (that I just checked for the price ) it says "nursing nanny" I love it though
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; July 29th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thumbs up Re: "Hooter Hider"

Ahh, I just typed you a really long response to this and the new forum system knocked me out and said I was no longer logged in! (I did start writing it a little while ago, but it still lost my post!)

Anyway, I have the "L'ovedbaby 4-in-1 Nursing Shawl" and love it!! I've used it in airplanes and an airport terminal, and no one even knew what I was doing! It's allowed me to nurse right in front of friends and family members, keeping the males in the room relaxed and not as uncomfortable as they would have been otherwise!

http://www.amazon.com/Lovedbaby-Nurs...7377023&sr=8-1

I think the Hooter Hiders have some sort of frame built into the neck so that they stand open a bit, but I prefer this one with just a wide neck. My DD is now old enough to pick up the fabric and wave it around while eating, so I have to stay attentive if I want this thing to be effective! But it's been wonderful to have and I highly recommend it!
    I used to and and use gDiapers when they were clean (now we're potty-trained... yay!). Also enjoyed but she still in the mornings.

I have one and I really liked it a lot in the beginning when I was uncomfortable NIP. It worked GREAT!

Now my ds just pushes it off because he wants to see everything going on around him. Also, I am not quite so nervous about NIP like I was early on.

The best part is the "frame" which allows you to see your baby. It works much better than just a blanket.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

I have one... paid about $30 for it I think. I thought like you that it would help me. Turns out when people came over I still went into the bedroom 98% of the time. Then I thought it might help in the minivan if my in-laws were with us. Not usually. Then DS was able to move more and didn't want to be covered at all. So for me... it didn't solve everything but I don't feel the $ was wasted or anything; it was worth a shot.

Unfortunately I paid full price for one at a little boutique - I think it was $40? Anyway DD was already five months old and at this point she hates being covered up. Plus I really don't have cause to NIP very often. So I guess what I would say is, get something similar but don't pay full price if you can avoid it!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

just to add . . . This is the one I purchased and it's wonderful. It has the band around the neck to that I can see him (but I can collapse it into my neck if I want to be completely covered). It's great for getting him latched. And like I said before, I use it for non-nursing things too
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I have this one http://shop.bebeaulait.com/shop/hhnc/chocolat# but didn't really use it. If you were interested I would sell it to you for less. You can PM me if you are interested.

If this was innapropriate to post I apologize.

My mother bought me one at an arts and craft show. I love it for when I am out in public or anywhere. My son tends to get hot when he nurses so sometimes I have blow some air into the 'tent' to cool him off. If he is really cranky he has a hard time nursing in it.

Making one would be a lot cheaper. My mom paid about $40 for mine, but it has a piece of plastic in it to make an opening at the top so only you can see.
    while at work and every other time and every minute with my baby

I paid $35 for mine and it was worth every penny. I love the boning in the front, because it allows me to make eye contact with my LO and it helps to see while getting him latched on.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!