Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth - ouch!

Unhappy Teeth - ouch!

My DD is 7.5 mo and got her first two bottom teeth at the end of June (6.5 mo). Her pediatrician told me to "cut her off" whenever she bit me during nursing and wait a while before finishing so that she'd learn not to bite me. Well my little smartie then started giving me a little bite at the END of her nursing session to tell me that she's finished!! She then looks up and gives me a great big grin. She has always thought it was hilarious to get a reaction out of me when she bites me.

Lately her biting has gotten worse and I seriously think she must be teething again. She was REALLY fussy and impatient today (very uncharacteristic of her) and last night it took us 2 hours to get her back to sleep when she woke up at 11 pm. The last time we went through this was right before, during, and slightly after her first teeth coming in.

She's now moved on to biting whatever is near her mouth... my leg, my shoulder, my shirt, my arm, the back of my computer chair...!
    She doesn't seem to understand "no" but it really hurts and I would feel bad if she did this to someone else. Short of pinching her or something, I don't know how to reprimand her and make her stop biting me.

I've given her teething rings to chew on and a frozen washcloth, but they just don't seem to be enough. Nursing her today has been kind of a pain because she's biting me a lot earlier on into the session and I don't feel like she's eaten as much as usual. (FYI - she's on 2-3 solid meals a day but I'm trying hard to keep my milk supply up so we can go for a full year. It's getting harder with all of these complications though!)

TIA!
    I used to and and use gDiapers when they were clean (now we're potty-trained... yay!). Also enjoyed but she still in the mornings.

Default Re: Teeth - ouch!

I agree with you that teething is most likely causing the biting! Especially if she's biting everything! At this age, she's not really understanding no yet, but she can read your tone of voice. Most babies this age respond well to positive reinforcement. Praising her when she doesn't bite, giving her lots of cuddles and attention when she's not biting.

Here are a couple of articles with some idea's on what to do
    http://llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    http://llli.org/NB/NBMarApr99p36.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks!! Those links were REALLY helpful! I'll try some of those techniques tomorrow.
    I used to and and use gDiapers when they were clean (now we're potty-trained... yay!). Also enjoyed but she still in the mornings.

Something to consider: the nighttime wakefulness could be caused by discomfort/pain from the teething. You may want to consider whatever pain relief your baby's HCP recommends to ease that.

Some babies cut teeth with absolutely no fuss or muss and then others are in lots of real pain. And everything hurts worse at night. (or at least my knees do! )