Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm sucked dry by the end of the day!

Unhappy I'm sucked dry by the end of the day!

I have been successfully nursing my 8 month old son until recently... I didn't try to be on a schedule with him but he is just a creature of habit and created one himself. He nurses around 8A, 12P, 4P and 7P. He has been sleeping through the night which is great but my milk supply has really suffered. When I try and nurse him at 7P there is just hardly anything left. He pops on and off in frustration b/c nothing is coming out and when we finally struggle through and my let down happens it is hardly anything. The past 2 nights have been so bad that I have given him formula for that last feed and then pumped. When I pump I don't even get 2 oz. (this is w/the Medela double pump in style on highest settings!)

My question is: to increase milk production is it best to pump right after a regular feed or say at 10A and 2P as extra times. I'm concerned with emptying myself out and him experiencing frustration during the feeds that aren't a problem right now. I guess you nurse 1st and then feed your pumped milk if they're still hungry. How long does it take for extra pumping to work? Being that he is this creature of habit I have to resort to pumping b/c he would never do with nursing at say 10a and working at it and being patient to increase my milk supply - if there's no milk shooting out he's not interested - so I can't just put him to the breast more. I've tried everything else from drinking ton's of water, mothers milk tea, resting and I need to do something quick! I feel like just 4 feedings a day is already too few for a 8 month old... and going down to 3 will just make matters worse. Some women produce in excess, I'm just one of them who doesn't - I went thru production issues with my daughter who's 3 too. I nursed her for 13 months and wasn't ready to stop but I think I was literally a bone dry pacifier! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: I'm sucked dry by the end of the day!

Have you thought about co-sleeping or nap nursing for a couple of days? I have had to do this with ds numerous times and still nap nurse every chance we get and co-sleep a couple times a week. This has truely been a lifesavor for my supply. In combination with Mother's milk tea and taking fenugreek. Like you, I have had problems with supply issues.
    I have heard different things in terms of pumping. I was told by some to pump after each feeding. Someone just recently told me to pump in between feedings. I have actually pumped after and between to get my supply back up. After about a week and a half of doing all the above, my supply is back up to normal.
    I hope this helps you!

I was just noticing that your lo goes 13 hours between feedings. If you dont want to co sleep, would you consider doing a couple feedings at night?

Our LLL Leader has told moms who are looking to pump to increase their supply to pump at least 15 minutes after each nursing session, and/or until 4 minutes after no more drops are coming out. It would also help to up the frequency that your breasts are drained, so if you could add a pumping session (if your baby just will not nurse more despite your best efforts, since your babe's nursing is the absolute best way to increase your supply - like no pump could do - but I think you sound like you already know that ). If you are able to add a night nursing session or two I think that would greatly benefit your supply. You are going quite a long time in between feedings. And most babies who won't nurse during the daytime for some reason will happily nurse at night or while sleepy (like right before/after naps) ... so you can get your babe an extra feeding or two in there and increase your supply at the same time.

These are great resources with information on steps to take to increase your supply:

Increasing Your Supply
    Protocol to Increase Breastmilk Intake by the Baby ("Not enough milk")
    Dr. Sears on Increasing Your Supply

Please note the following statement from that page though ...

"It's important to note that the feel of the breast, the behavior of your baby, the frequency of nursing, the sensation of let-down, or the amount you pump are not valid ways to determine if you have enough milk for your baby."

And I know that LLL has a similar philosophy. Many women believe their supply is low when it actually fine. I think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

[QUOTE=paint-the-moon]Our LLL Leader has told moms who are looking to pump to increase their supply to pump at least 15 minutes after each nursing session, and/or until 4 minutes after no more drops are coming out. It would also help to up the frequency that your breasts are drained, so if you could add a pumping session (if your baby just will not nurse more despite your best efforts, since your babe's nursing is the absolute best way to increase your supply - like no pump could do - but I think you sound like you already know that ). If you are able to add a night nursing session or two I think that would greatly benefit your supply. You are going quite a long time in between feedings. And most babies who won't nurse during the daytime for some reason will happily nurse at night or while sleepy (like right before/after naps) ... so you can get your babe an extra feeding or two in there and increase your supply at the same time.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I am going to try pumping a lot for a week. Maybe immediately after and in between. I definitely do know that he is the most efficient milk remover, he however is sooooo impatient and busy - if there's no immediate gratification he is like alright then let's get back to playing! And I wish he weren't going so long between feedings, I love nursing him but it is so easy to go with it and be distracted when he is my 2nd. I should have tried harder to offer the breast even when he wasn't asking when he was younger but I was sooo tired and was just like wow! I can't believe my 2nd baby is sleeping through the night at 4 months! It was easy to do after getting up at night and dealing with an energenic toddler all day. Some moms seem to cope well with lots of sleep interuptions but I don't seem to be one of them!
    If pumping doesn't work I'll have to try nursing him at night. I just have that initial nervousness of what if I put him to the breast and nothing comes out and here I've taken a peaceful sleeping child and made him frustrated and angry. I know anxiety is one of the worst enemies of letdown but it's so hard when he's popping on and off and pushing back with arm and elbow locked and I'm trying to breathe and be calm. We go on like this sometimes for 30 min. switching sides and trying to relax.
    I'll let you know how I make out! Thanks again for your advice!