Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: yellow/green stools

Default yellow/green stools

my ds has been having more greenish stools the last few days. I'm currently trying to get him to be nursing from both breasts as opposed to just my left breast. So far it's going great. I was just wondering if it's cause now I'm nursing both breasts that his stools are green now? I know with the left breast he does get to the hindmilk. With the right breast I can say he doesn't ever get that hindmilk. I always feel full on the left breast. I even express some milk from left breast in hopes that will help. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening cause I'm still really full in the left breast. Please help.

Default Re: yellow/green stools

Hello there,
    Baby BM's can be some worrisome for moms, and I can understand you concerns!

You mentioned more green stools the past few days. Are they consistently green, or is it on and off?

You mentioned getting ds to nurse both sides. May I ask, how do you know when he is finished with the first side? He should come off on his own or fall asleep. You mentioned being sure he gets hindmilk on the left side, but not the right. Could you explain that a little more? How do you know this?

You mentioned always feeling full on the left side, but never the right. If he is nursing more often and longer on the left side, then that side is going to make more milk, causing you to feel fuller. And then, expressing milk from the left side is telling that side to make even more milk! The supply and demand here between the breasts may be what is causing the differences in feel/milk production/and foremilk-hindmilk differences.

Some mothers in this situation find that only offering one breast during a 2-3 hour period is helpful to encourage more hindmilk intake. Any time ds wants to nurse during that time period, only use the left side. Then the next 2-3 hours, use only the right side. This may help even things out for you between the two breasts.

Remember, it is not necessary to have ds nurse from both sides everytime. And in this case, it might be causing those green stools.

Please let us know if this helps!

I thought baby poop came in all colors and now after reading other concerns about green poop I am worried too. My ds is 5.5m and his poop was always yellow and lately we have seen a dark army green color. One time he had the back half yellow and the front half dark brownish green. He does get cereal when he will take it and he nurses both sides but I try to keep him on at least 10 min per side or when he pulls off if I can see I still have more I put him back on. They also stink way more then before cereal. Could the change in color and smell be the infrequent cereal? Or do babies as they get older just have different poops?

Baby poop comes in a variety of "normal" colors and patterns. No doubt though that the cereal would affect the color of the poop. Sometimes there's a concern that there's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance when a baby has consistently green poop. But green poop in and of itself doesn't indicate any sort of issue at all. It's green poop coupled with some other symptoms that can indicate a variety of things -- foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, allergy.

There's a LLL handout with pictures of the varying degrees of normal baby poop -- I believe they're now available online but I'm not quite sure where to locate them. I'll try to find it and get back to you.

Sorry about some confussion there in my first post. It's my left side that stays engored even after being nursed on for 20 minutes. My right side breast is the one keeps draining. It starts out full feeling when let down happens and after a feed it's half the size of my left breast. Yes DS is only 8 weeks old. I'm trying to get my breast to even out so I do just nurse one breast at a time. But for about 3 weeks my ds only nursed on left side so I'm trying to decrease the supply there. I know the expressing of milk doesn't help, but if I don't I will end up with a puddle of milk all over my place. I always start nursing on the right side to increase milk supply and end up having to go the left to fill him up. Green poops not constant, after some feedings back to yellow again especially first thing in the morning.

Soldierwife, if the cereal is fortified with iron, that can sometimes cause green poop. The same happens in formula fed babies, because of the high levels of iron in the milk.

Sheena, if all else is well, baby is gaining ok etc, and you are just wanting to "even up" the other side, then perhaps just express enough so you are not engorged between feedings?

Does the engorged sensation ever go away at all?
    When your ds is feeding, can you see a change from quick sucking to more deep, rythmic sucking?

I have noticed since ds was sick and not eating cereal his poop returned to yellow. Yes it is iron fortified, saves that nast iron vitamin.........

SoldierWife ~ Most babies have enough iron stores in their systems to last them to at least 6 months but most often through the first year of life. Your breastmilk contain less iron than iron-fortified foods but your baby is able to absorb a large amount of that iron. Unfortunately when we start to offer iron supplements, it actually interfere's with the baby's ability to absorb the iron in your breast milk.

If you are worried about anemia, you can always have baby tested at his well-baby appointments

This isn't an approved LLL source but it's got good info on iron supplementation in the breastfed baby: Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?