Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sudden problems breastfeeding

Unhappy sudden problems breastfeeding

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but am getting really stressed out and tempted to try formula feeding, against my better judgement...

I have an 8 week old litle girl. She has been breastfeeding OK - although generally only for about 10 minutes at a time, if that.

In the past couple of days she's started to scream whilst feeding and then refuse to feed any more. Occasionally, she won't latch on at all - she'll open her mouth as if to latch and then as soon as the nipple's in her mouth she'll scream without starting to suck. However,generally, she only stays latched on for about 1-2 minutes and then screams herself hysterical. Even when she feeds for her 'normal' amount of time, she lets me know she's done by screaming. I'e tried calming her down and then trying again but then she will just scream whilst latched on, however calm she was initially.

I think she's very windy - she's always been a dribbler and spitter - I often worry that she's bringing up everything she takes in! - but in the last few days she's been burping up huge amounts at once.

Infacol seems to make it worse.

She pees and poos OK but her weight gain is slow to static over the last couple of weeks. She is generally alert and up until recently was happy. She sleeps through the night and, even when she wasn't gaining, flatly refuses to eat at night!

So, can anyone help? please? I feel quite desperate.

thanks

Lil

Default Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

HI LIl,
    My 7 week old baby girl was doing the same thing. I cut out all dairy products (including milk chocolate!) as well as oinions and garlic. Have you tried keeping a food diary to see if anything you eat may be upsetting her? Also someone also suggested I express a little milk before nursing. This also seemed to help some. I hope everything gets better. I know I was very frustrated when it happend. It still happens sometimes and I can usually look at what I ate to find why.

Hope this helps

If she was fine for eight weeks, I don't imagine it's a food allergy. Have you been using a bottle/pacifier? Perhaps nipple confusion? I don't like that she's not gaining weight. Hopefully you'll get some experienced folk to chime in. I would really have an LC or LLL leader take a look at what's going on.

If she's not nursing long enough, she may not be getting enough hindmilk, which could be the cause for the lack of weight gain.

Do you have a forceful or very over active let down? If so, try to express a little milk before latching her on.

Food alleriges are a possibility, even if she's been fine for 8 weeks. My DS's allergy didn't show up until 3 months, and the first sign was eczema. Does she have any other signs like mucousy poop or rashes?

What about thrush? Any signs of that?

Have you tried breast compressions? http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html They can help with both poor weight gain and colic.

It's so frustrating when our babies cry and we can't figure out why! Your baby is lucky to have a mommy that cares so much about her!

A couple of questions for you:
    Are you using artificial nipples of any kind (pacifiers, bottles)?

You mention she's spitting up more than normal--can you give us a rough idea of the amount? Often what is spit up is curdled already so it looks like more than it actually is. However you seem concerned that she is spitting up larger amounts than before.

Do you notice any choking/sputtering after you let down?

Jen

Unhappy Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

Hello!

Thank-you so much to everyone who's replied - it's really helping not to feel alone.

To answer as many of the questions as I can remember

-yes, she does use a pacifier. She's always (right from birth!) been a very 'sucky' baby and gets very cross if she just wants to suck and is presented with a nipple that has milk coming out! In the hospital they suggested I use my finger but after 3/4 of an hour at 2am I succumbed to a pacifier...I assumed that nipple confusion would be consistent - she only sometimes refuses to latch. Sometimes she eats quite happily for a few minutes and then screams and pulls off. Also, I've tried using the pacifier to calm her down and then latched her on - that seems to work relatively often as she's unconsciously sucking and so continues if I'm quick enough with the swap...

-I've cut out caffeine and curry as she really wasn't keen on those. I don't think it's an allergy but am keeping a food diary. There doesn't seem to be any food that I've consistently eaten before the problems

-the spitting up seems to have calmed down somewhat. Back to 'normal' - which for her is, I would say, a few tbs each feed. Usually milk immediately and curdy stuff about 1-2 hours later.

Well, I'm off to get her weighed to see if what I've tried has made a difference. The screaming would be easier to cope with if I knew she was thriving...

thanks for all the advice and support!

-Lil

It could be that the stream of let-down irritates her throat sometimes. Maybe she has a sore throat and that's why she's refusing. I have been told by a lactation consultant that sometimes babies will go through a nursing strike and you just have to get through it. I, too, am concerned about the weight gain though. Have you talked to her pediatrician about it? I'm sorry that you are having this struggle. Don't give up hope!!!! You can get through this!

Hmmm, yeah, if you've been using a paci this whole time I don't think that would be an issue all of a sudden.

Is she screaming all the time or just during feeds? How are you determining that she's ready to eat? Crying is a late hunger cue. Sometimes if you wait until they are crying to feed, they get frantic and have trouble latching on. Do you think offering the breast 10 or 15 minutes earlier than usual would help?

Forgive me if I'm way off the mark. . . just brainstorming here! It's hard when we can't see you in person I'm glad to hear you're going to see your healthcare provider!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!