Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another lipase question

Default another lipase question

so i've read a lot of the lipase posts but still am wondering about something.

i have given my LO EBM with no problem. sometimes it is fresh from the tap and other times thawed from the freezer.

well, the other day i gave him a bottle that had been in the fridge for about 5-6 days. he got all frantic while drinking it and most of it was leaking out of his mouth. i smelled it and thought it smelled funny- maybe soapy (of course i had already read about soapy smelling milk so maybe i was just being paranoid) my DH didn't think it had a smell at all. i switched the bottle with a fresh one i had just pumped and he took it just fine.

does this make sense? is this a lipase issue? why do i not have a problem with the frozen milk?

Default Re: another lipase question

It sounds like a lipase issue. Freezing milk slows down the breakdown of lipase. I don't know if there is a scale of severity - but, it seems some women's ebm goes "bad" faster than others. Perhaps yours takes more time to breakdown. What is the longest time you've frozen milk and used it?

well, yesterday i gave him a bottle from 7/14. i'm pretty sure that's the longest. he had no problem with it and it smelled fine.

That's not very long. You should keep track of frozen milk and if it does smell funny or lo won't take it, make a note of how old it was. This will narrow down your issue - also take note of how long fresh lasts. If you find you are storing a lot frozen but seeing that it sometimes goes bad, you could start scalding it before freezing it. HTH.

If it just happened that one time, then I wouldn't worry about it...it could have been that your baby didn't like the temperature of it, or something else. Next time your baby seems to refuse a bottle though, you may want to taste it...I know that sounds gross if you've never done it, but it should taste not like much but sweet. When I figured out I had excessive lipase, my DD had refused a bottle while I was having surgery and so afterward I smelled it, and it smelled a little funny, and I tasted it, and it was discusting. After that I started thawing out milk, and it had the same taste It really grossed me out for a while, but I'm glad I figured it out. Now I know what to smell for, but I don't think smelling it alone would have cued me in at first. HTH!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09