Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using spoons & forks?

Default using spoons & forks?

When eating purees, I put the food on the spoon and dd takes it from me and puts it in her mouth (she's done this pretty much since she started solids). She also self feeds small pieces of table food with her fingers. What age should they be using the utensils themselves- putting food on a spoon or I saw a post about an 8 mo old using a fork to stab soft veggies and dipping it into soup?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: using spoons & forks?

I'm not sure--we did baby-led solids, and he still uses his hands and fingers a lot, though he uses utensils too (without a lot of predictability--I guess some days he feels more like it than others lol). He's 16 months old.

This site list it as a developmental milestone by age 2.
    http://www.nncc.org/Child.Dev/mile2.html

I think it really depends on what age they are first allowed to try to use utensils themselves. KWIM?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We did Exclusive BLS and Dj started wanting to use a spoon an fork on his own around 14months. Sometimes he uses his hands to stick stuff on his fork and he still misses with spoonfuls of stuff like corn but he initiated that, we got him little REAL silverware that actually stabs not the kind that has rounded edges and he recently has moved into the dessert forks at our house. (They are lighter weight and smaller than out regular forks but have five prongs.)
    His little forks that he learned to eat with have only 3prongs. My docotr told me not to worry about this and that he would do it on his own because he wants to imitate us and she was right.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    We did Exclusive BLS and Dj started wanting to use a spoon an fork on his own around 14months.
    Pretty much the same here. I think I posted a thread asking about toddler fork / spoon when DS was about 13 mo old.

I decided that toddler forks are pretty pointless (pun intended) because they are so safe and rounded they are like spoons with slots and you can't actually use then as a fork to jab and pick up food.

DS mostly uses the regular salad fork / dessert spoon from our regular silverware. We do also have some plastic spoons.

I usually let DS choose from the drawer what utensils he wants to use (and sometimes that is a fork to eat yogurt).

And just as often he decides he wants to use MY silverware.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Sometimes he uses his hands to stick stuff on his fork
    Z does the opposite. He scoops food up with his spoon/fork and then pulls it off with his hands to eat it.

He liked to have a spoon to play with during meals from about 8 months, but wasn't able to start using it until maybe 12-15 months. Like I said, he's still no expert, but he gives it a good effort.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Well .... at 2 yo DS is pretty good at using a fork & spoon correctly, but it's often faster to use his fingers, which we're okay with.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    When eating purees, I put the food on the spoon and dd takes it from me and puts it in her mouth (she's done this pretty much since she started solids). She also self feeds small pieces of table food with her fingers. What age should they be using the utensils themselves- putting food on a spoon or I saw a post about an 8 mo old using a fork to stab soft veggies and dipping it into soup?
    Your lo is already doing it! She's doing great! If she wants to put the spoon in her own mouth, let her. You can also put small amounts of her food in a bowl on her tray and give her a spoon to let her feed herself after you've already spoon fed her if you're concerned she won't get enough to fill up on quite yet.

I'm not sure there's a cut and dry answer as to when babies should be using utensils, but I know our ped always asked about it at about the 14 mos. range to see if the boys were doing it yet. By that time, they always were trying to use utensils, and our ped said that was great, because it wasn't complete accuracy she was looking for, but that they wanted to do it, and that they were trying and having some success.

Thanks all! That makes me feel a little better. I just didn't want to hold her back by not giving her the chance to do it herself. But, as far as getting the food on there herself, she's just not there yet. And now the fork question is solved, I was looking at her little rounded fork and wondering how anyone could stab anything with that I'll just keep letting her do her thing and give her some stuff she can try and scoop off her tray.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...