Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: are straws dangerous?

Default are straws dangerous?

My 9 mo old has been drinking from a straw cup (silicone straw) for a while, but recently I let her use a regular straw when we went out for lunch since I didn't have her cup with us. My husband said he thought there was some kind of danger to them using a straw? I think he just meant the regular plastic restaurant straws- but does anyone know anything about this?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: are straws dangerous?

DD uses a straw
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

IMO I would let my 9 month old use a regular straw. I would hold the top of the straw about 1 inch down and help her gide it into her mouth. That way when they suck it up they dont actually suck the straw up too. KWIM?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I agree that they are fine to use, just be careful that they don't shove the straw (if it's a hard one) up in to the roof of their mouth. Those take and toss cups with the straw are really hard and DS jabbed his mouth with one, and I felt horrible. Live and learn.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    I agree that they are fine to use, just be careful that they don't shove the straw (if it's a hard one) up in to the roof of their mouth. Those take and toss cups with the straw are really hard and DS jabbed his mouth with one, and I felt horrible. Live and learn.
    I tell the girls not to run with those take and toss ones - but we really love them