Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding struggles

Post Breastfeeding struggles

I am a new mom to a 4 month old and I had problems breastfeeding in the beginning because it hurt. My husband bought me a pump within the first week and I would pump and have someone feed him. Then about 1 1/2 weeks I tried latching on once a day and we finally got it. I had to go back to work at 4 weeks post partum so I breastfeed him as much as possible in the evenings and on the weekends. Now that he is 4 months he seems to be not latching on as good. When I put him to my left side he sucks for about 5 minutes and then pulls off as he sucking (it hurts extremely bad). I have tried firmly holding to my breast so he doesnt do it but he just ends up crying. But he doesnt do any of that on my right side.

He also sometimes is hungry and will suck for about 10 minutes and then pull off and talk and suck and pull off repeatedly. But sometimes if I sit him up he gets mad, so I hook him up to the other side and he continues eating. My right side has always produced more so when he does the pulling off bit and I switch side I know there is still more milk in the right one.

Any advice on how I can get him to completely finish one side before switching.

at work and everyother time
    4 months and still going

Default Re: Breastfeeding struggles

Hi! I'm sorry you're having this issue. It sounds like you're doing a great job!
    My DD has become more of a distracted nurser lately too! Sometimes she needs to burp or just isn't that interested in eating at the moment.
    Are you still using slow-flow nipples while you're at work? They are recommended so that baby doesn't start rejecting the breast in favor of a faster flow from the bottle nipple. It could be that he gets frustrated when the initial letdown of milk slows down.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am still using the slow flow nipples. I have tried nursing him in a quieter less distracting place but that seems to distract him more.

Another question I have is could it be that because he is fed from the left side while he is away from me, that he will associate that to be the 'bottle' side?

It's possible. I'd have the daytime caregiver start switching sides so he gets fed from both sides.
    Does he feed better on the left side when he's sleepy? Maybe you could try to feed him more on that side right before bed so they get equal time.
    Also, you don't have to feed on both sides at every feeding.
    Is any of this helping?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Well, when he wakes up in the middle of the night I usually lay him in bed beside me and let him nurse on that side and has no problems. Even if I lay down during the day and put him on my left he has no problems.

Also he is still so hungry and he won't take just one side unless he has benn eating about every hour to hour and half.

Well that's good, at least he's nursing on that side at night and when you lay down. Do you normally sit in the same place when you nurse him? Is there something that he might like to look at while he's nursing that he can't see when he's on the left side?

Molly

Well he usually closes his eyes while on the right but then will pull off and stare at my floor lamp or turn his head to the TV. While on the left he closes his eyes too, but nothing really to stare at except the TV also. I have sat in the same place everytime sine he was born. My poor couch is getting squishier there.
    while at work and every other time and every minute with my baby

You could try sitting somewhere else, or on the other side of the couch.

I'm full of random ideas!

Stick with it, mama. Change positions, change locations, and just keep at it and I bet he'll get over it soon.

Molly

It sounds to me like he has a preferred side. And that usually happens when baby actually sucks and latches better on that side. What you want to do is mimic the way he latching on the side he latches well on instead of putting him in the exact opposite position when on the other side which is what happens when you flip the baby from side to side. So if he is doing his best work on the right side in the cradle hold, than when you put him on the left side, to mimic that position on the other side, you would put him in the football hold.So that HE is still latching in the way that he latched best even though he is now on the other side.
    Thebest way I know how to describe this visually is if your baby was laying on the Boppy pillow eating on your good side in cradle, and when he was done, you unlatch the baby and didn't pick him up, but instead moved the whole pillow so he stayed in the same position but was moved to the other boob, he'd end up in the foot ball hold on the other side. Does that make sense?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It sounds to me like he has a preferred side. And that usually happens when baby actually sucks and latches better on that side. What you want to do is mimic the way he latching on the side he latches well on instead of putting him in the exact opposite position when on the other side which is what happens when you flip the baby from side to side. So if he is doing his best work on the right side in the cradle hold, than when you put him on the left side, to mimic that position on the other side, you would put him in the football hold.So that HE is still latching in the way that he latched best even though he is now on the other side.
    Thebest way I know how to describe this visually is if your baby was laying on the Boppy pillow eating on your good side in cradle, and when he was done, you unlatch the baby and didn't pick him up, but instead moved the whole pillow so he stayed in the same position but was moved to the other boob, he'd end up in the foot ball hold on the other side. Does that make sense?
    Sounds like a good idea. Wish I had tried this. I kind of had this issue too, except that for some reason I prefer the right side. It's always just been so much easier to offer that side instead of the left. Why? I don't know but it was very awkward to learn to feed him from the left side. What I've done, and I've had to do it several times, is block feed or pump my left side. If my right side was producing much more than my left, I would block feed to even things out and if it wasn't a very big difference I would try to pump at least once a day to try to maximize that sides production. Besides that advice, I could only suggest that you still to feeding lying down. That's the position I've found that we're both very comfortable in so I feed him like that as much as often, when we're out though I usually have to wait until he is very, very hungry because he isn't a fan of the cradle hold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!