Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old can only fall asleep with breast in her mouth

Default 8 month old can only fall asleep with breast in her mouth

Hi,

My 8 month old baby girl can only fall asleep and stay asleep while nursing. I am not a fan of the cry-it-out method but I need to find away to let her get used to falling asleep and staying asleep on her own. We co-sleeped with her until now, but she wiggles so much in her sleep my hubby and I keep waking up. So we need to transition her to sleep in her own crib AS I AM SOON BACK TO WORK AND NEED SLEEP. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Default Re: 8 month old can only fall asleep with breast in her mouth

There is some great sleep info on Dr Sears site:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

There are also plenty of methods besides CIO- you might check the "sleep or lack of it" forum- there is LOTS of good info on there. Our lo also cosleeps, but recently we brought her crib in our room and made it like a sidecar attachment to our bed, so she has more space, but she's still near by and reachable- that might be an option for you even if just for a transition. There's a great link with pic's on the sleep forum showing how people have done it with their cribs.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Great info above!!

You might also be interested in
    The No-Cry Sleep Solution

Please keep in mind that this is probably something she will outgrow, I know that doesn't help you in the short-term! Dr. Sears also has a book called Nighttime Parenting.

Both of these books you'd probably find at your library or your LLL group library.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I have to second the advice for the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"

It has helped us go from at least 5 night wakings to one sometimes two!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens